Prejudices

I'm writing a paper about the treatment of Mexican immigrants and other Latino immigrants, both legal and illegal. What are some of the prejudices you have or have seen about Latinos? If you are Latino, what experiences have you had with prejudices? If you immigrated here (legally or illegally), what was your motivation? Thanks for sharing!

musicpisces

Asked by musicpisces at 5:05 PM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't want illegals here because I end up having to support them and their children. Schools, reduced price lunches, ESL teachers... I pay for their medical care, they have no insurance. Other countries don't allow this, why do we?

meandmyshadow

Answer by meandmyshadow at 5:26 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I'm asking you~ why is not wanting someone in this country ILLEGALLY defined as a prejudice? Do you know the definition of Prejudice? How does the definition of Prejudice fit in with the view of not wanting someone in this country ILLEGALLY?

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 5:24 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I think it's closed minded to say that just because a person is against illegal immigration that means they're prejudiced against Latinos. It's not just Latinos that are here illegally.

BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 5:55 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Is NOT wanting people to enter the US illegally considered a prejudice by your definition?
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 5:08 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• LOL Carpy.. So we should say, THANK YOU OP for showing an example of liberal bias in the educational system...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 6:39 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• So, by your answer to grly, not wanting any group to be here illegally is prejudging them. Is that true if we don't want any criminal to be allowed to get away with the crime? Are we prejudging. I have no prejudices about Latinos or any other group, but your question is, as a matter of irony, a prejudice question. You are assuming we have them. An assumption is a pre- judging of a person.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:41 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Why is not wanting someone in this country ILLEGALLY defined as a prejudice?
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 5:18 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• My Grandparents came over legally and since there was a large group of them (Greeks) at that time, they were viewed much as immigrants these days that come in large numbers- a threat to employment. I don't think its prejudice-but a fear of the unknown and worry about not having enough resources to go around I do feel strongly that those that come here learn the language-I know from experience growing up in the immigrant community that those that assimilate do better than those that do not. Three generations later, some of my relatives that did not adapt are still struggling, while those that did have found the balance between perserving their heritage and success.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 5:52 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Exactly BlueCollar... Among other things, I have serious questions as to a teacher who would present a paper topic this way...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 5:57 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• he he Lori!! Now, Now... Maybe... Just Maybe she stumbled across that "one" instructor who allows "he said, she said" as a factual argument in a debate/discussion... I believe it is the "The University of na na na na Boo Boo"
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 6:45 PM on Oct. 18, 2010