Masturbation... adult content

How many of you grew up being told masturbation was sinful or dirty, or were punished when you were caught?

And now what are your views on the subject and your children?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 5:14 PM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• We were not taught anything about masterbation when I was a kid. I did it anyway, lol, and I wont make my children feel bad for doing it. It's not sinful or bad, just ones exploration of their body. I still masterbate from time to time as an adult. It's normal.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 5:16 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• It just wasn't something that got talked about growing up, and I don't recall ever being caught doing it. With my own children, they've grown up hearing that touching yourself is a private thing that's normal and fine to do, you just need to make sure you have privacy if you're going to do it. They're not quite old enough this has been a serious issue, other than randomly touching themselves while watching tv. When my oldest was 3 he thought it was hilarious that he could flick his peen and have it stand up.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 5:17 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I was not taught that growing up.. I was taught that it was perfectly natural, perfectly normal, a healthy & safe way to explore my own sexuality. (Proper place/time of couse. lol0

This is also how my son was taught/raised as well.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 5:18 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• The subject never came up as a kid, but there was abuse happening in the family, so I think thats why. We teach our children to go to the bathroom or their bedrooms to do that. It's a private thing and we don't wanna see it.
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 5:19 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• It was preached that it was sinful, shameful, and you were going to hell. Though my parents never talked about sex, I was told when I was little that the only time I was supposed to touch myself was when I was washing.

As far as MY kids go, we simply have one rule- do it in private. It's completely normal, and they should never be told anything different.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:19 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• My mom was raised that way, and it took her into her thirties to feel comfortable with her body and allowing someone to give her pleasure. She made sure not to raise us that way, and made it clear that it was a normal thing. I'm glad she did, and I am raising my son that way (though I do teach him to wash his hands after touching his penis! LOL). My son plays with it pretty much every chance he gets, which is normal, so our approach is that it's fine to do in private, in the bathroom or bedroom, just wash your hands after you're done.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 5:20 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• nothing wrong with it its a part of life
    FIVEHAPPYHEARTS

Answer by FIVEHAPPYHEARTS at 5:25 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I was told it was embarrassing and dirty.

We teach our kids it is normal, but private and should only be done in their room or in the bathroom.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 5:34 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I was never told about masturbation or sex
    lovelypisces

Answer by lovelypisces at 5:36 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• When I first discovered it I was too young to know it was supposed to be private, so my mom had a hard time getting me to keep it that way lol. I didn't realize it was sexual, it just felt good, and I couldn't figure out why I should listen. She never ever told me not to do it, or that it was bad, only that it was private. When I was older and realized how embarrassed I "should" have been I was a little mortified. I came up with this idea that it was wrong all by myself. I tried to stop (and failed lol). Then I got involved with the Mormon church and THEY said that it was almsot as bad as killing someone. I was horrified, and REALLY tried (and failed again) to stop. Then I gave up trying to stop and just accepted it. I hope my kids never feel that way about it. I'm going to do my best to never give ANY impression that it is in any way wrong. I hope it works!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 5:37 PM on Oct. 18, 2010