Problems with my puppy

My puppy is a 7 month old doberman. We have a doggie door and he takes things outside. He will take anything he can put in his mouth outside. He's taken things like a stapler, the mouse to my computer, bars of soap, literally anything. He is large enough to jump up on the counter and take food or utensils. The only thing I know to do is let him in and out 200 times a day. Any ideas>

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:19 PM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Pets

• he needs more training, and more excersize..dogs do that kinda stuff when theyre bored..and you have to put your foot down..tell him NO! in a loud stern voice EVERY TIME!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 11:43 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• It sounds like you need to dog proof your house a bit better. I know that can be a challange. I have a dog that is tall can take things off the tables pretty easily. (thankfully he out grew that stage). If he is stealing things then He should not have full run of the house. That is a privilage that he has to earn. Only allow him to be where people are so that you can keep an eye on him. I would also lock the dog door until he learns not to do this.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 6:33 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• if you catch him with things he isn't supposed to have like your mouse or stapler or shoes or whatever then you can always spray bitter apple in his mouth and replace the bad item with his toy..it works great and it usually only takes a couple times and he won't have your stuff..you can buy it at walmart.
    Mrs.PMAL

Answer by Mrs.PMAL at 12:09 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• It sounds to me you need help from a trainer.

Answer by older at 5:28 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Does he have plenty of toys of his own, and does he know where his toys are?
    Linds2Horse

Answer by Linds2Horse at 5:32 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• It's really just a matter of training him... Teaching him to ONLY play with his designated toys, and not to jump up on counters... If you can't handle that on your own, I agree with older, get a trainer. He doesn't know the difference, so he's not doing it to be mean.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 5:56 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I agree training the dog and more attention or activity> my 3 mo old pup is like that when i am too busy so i try to so more with her stimulation -tire her out and she is better
    stargazer74

Answer by stargazer74 at 8:57 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I agree that you need a trainer. He is only a puppy, so now is the perfect time to teach him commands and what behavior is acceptable. A trainer or class will help you learn how to teach him most anything you want to teach him. If you can't afford one, get some good dog training books out of the library.
    christinab313

Answer by christinab313 at 7:02 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Thank you all for your answers. We are looking into puppy training classes. He has plenty of toys and he drags all of them out every day. We are spending more time at the dog park to make sure he gets the exercize he needs. Hopefully soon he will out grow his puppy phase.
    meandmyshadow

Answer by meandmyshadow at 12:30 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Do you run out after him every time he grabs something he is not supposed to have ? If the answer is yes - he's got you trained !!! Don't follow him (of course, you have to if it could hurt him or limit what he can reach until he learns). Once he sees that you are not going to play his game, he will stop. It may take a few days, even a few weeks. I had one dog who was trying to do that, luckily for me it was only with a towel or something from the dog room, so nothing dangerous, but when he thought that I no longer "cared" what he stole, he stopped. It was pretty funny though the day he tried to take a full gallon jug of water - picked it up by the handle, no lid - water everywhere, I was SOOO mad, but had to laugh at the same time - he figured, "this will make you come after me, Mom" !!!
    JustMyOpinion22

Answer by JustMyOpinion22 at 12:37 AM on Oct. 22, 2010