What can I eat to not get acid indigestion?

I have tried eating bland like just plain bread, kashi bars. I have tried eating only healthy. Minimal amounts of meats very low in fat and veggies with no butter or seasonings. I have avoided acidic foods like oranges and tomatoes. Drinking ONLY water. I use Aloe Vera juice to keep it down sometimes but if you have ever drank it you would know its something that you can only handle so much of lol. (22weeks prego-prefer not to take any kind of pills)

LovinEveryDay

Asked by LovinEveryDay at 2:24 PM on Oct. 28, 2008 in Food & Drink

• the heartburn is a common problem for pg, sometimes diet doesn't make a difference. making sure you stay upright after a meal may help. Maalox liquid is more topical than systemic, so if that's palatable for you.... it really helps neutralize the acid and it has an anesthetic that makes you feel better immediately.

teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 2:40 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Maalox is your friend! Along with Tums Smoothies (which also give you calcium, which is beneficial during pregnancy). Chew gum, it increases saliva production which then dilutes the acid. Sleep on your left side, slightly elevated. This helps to keep the acid in the stomach. Avoid anything with citric acid, a lot of caffeine, or anything greasy. Small frequent meals are best. Eat slowly. Avoid liquid dairy products (milk, cream, etc). Also, vinegar, mustard, salty foods or highly seasoned foods (no jerk chicken). Caffeine and alcohol both relax the muscle that keeps the acid in the stomach and out of the esophagus, so they're to be avoided.
    Get some tums. Chew one at the first sign of heartburn. Wait 20 min and if you still feel any discomfort, chew another or take a swig of liquid Maalox. Hope you feel better!!
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 3:58 PM on Oct. 28, 2008