Has anyone ever slow cooked a WHOLE chicken?

I saw a recipe that calls for using the crock pot for a whole chicken. I will be making that for dinner today but I'm wondering if it will be good. Has anyone ever done this before? Did the chicken turn out good and flavorful? Was the skin nasty and flabby, or was it more on the crisp side?

Miss-Baby-Baker

Asked by Miss-Baby-Baker at 5:24 PM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I do this a lot. I prefer it to roasting in the oven. I use foil balls, and season my bird and then cook it on high. This lets the skin crisp up. It's important that it be cooked on high.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 5:25 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Meant to add, the foil balls are for the chicken to sit on so it doesn't sit in its own juices while cooking.
    Ginger0104

• I d=only do a whole chicken in the crock pot when I have intentions of pulling it off the bone to make salads or tacos or something. The skin on mine is not crisp. You are locking moisture in so it has no way to really get that good crispy skin.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:28 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I do this all the time- there are some great recipes for crock pot chicken.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 5:32 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I just did to make bbq chicken sandwiches. It was very moist and fell apart off the bone, but wasn't crispy at all.
    KandiceN

Answer by KandiceN at 5:32 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Yes, with a sliced onion, 1 cup boiling water, 1 packet onion soup mix, salt, pepper, and garlic. Falls right off the bone! Yummy!
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 5:33 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I agree with But_Mommie...I only do it for salad or tacos.
    zbee

Answer by zbee at 5:34 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I cook turkey breasts in the slow cooker for Thanksgiving.  It comes out so tender it melts in your mouth.  The only problem is it falls off the bone when you try to get it out of the slow cooker and it doesn't brown but you can always throw it in the oven or broiler for a bit to brown it up.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:44 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I brown the chicken in the oven on high heat and transfer it to the pot. Instead of using foil balls, consider using whole carrots and celery to bolster the chicken. These add flavor and can then be used in the stock pot.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 6:39 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I do mine on a rack I put in the bottom of the crock pot. I too do it on high, to be sure the meat gets hot enough to kill any bacteria. I salt, pepper, & put fresh rosemary & garlic in the cavity. I then make a garlic & butter paste, & stuff that under the membrane on the breast between the skin & the meat.
    RubyinPA

Answer by RubyinPA at 7:03 PM on Oct. 18, 2010