What helps diahrra??

My 27 month old had ha diahrra for 3 months now and his dr finnaly did a referral to a GI, but their first available appt wasn't until the end of Aug. We have tried all the obvious things and checked him for food allergies. He has it 3-4 times a day and he has now lost 31/2 lbs. I was just wondering if someone could give me any suggestions of things to try until we can get him to see GI?? Thanks

redtang912

Asked by redtang912 at 3:47 PM on Jul. 3, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i got sumthin after my son had diahrea for 3 weeks, i looked for home remedies..
    one that honestly worked was boiling 7 up (Soda);;letting it cool;; and then putting it in the refrigarator and getting it cold, thn giving it to them
    my son did and it stopped it within 48 hours
    LANDENSmamii

Answer by LANDENSmamii at 5:25 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• Your are going to the Dr to find out what the deal is...

You mention you've tried food alegries??? Did you try having a Glutten-Free diet??? Of course the Dr will be able to help more.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 4:04 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• When my daughter was younger she had some bug and she had diahrra, her Dr. told me to get BD Lactinex. It is not a prescription, but you do get it from the pharmacy and they keep it in the frige. So go to CVS or wherever and ask if they have that. It worked right away.
    1lilgirl

Answer by 1lilgirl at 4:12 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• YOU WILL HAVE TO GO TO THE DOCTOR BEFORE UR BABY GETS DEHYDRATED.MY LIL BOY ALWAYS HAS IT WE TAKE HIM STRAIGHT TO THE HOS EVERY TIME GOOD LUCK
    vmommy3

Answer by vmommy3 at 4:58 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• Did they check for milk alergy. I'm not talking about lactose intolerant. I'm talking allergy. Granddaughter had a similiar situation. I took her off all milk for a week just to see if it made a difference. I tried it because her brother is allergic to milk but we've known about that since he was tiny. A week later the diarrhea had stopped, she was eating better and had even gained weight. Dr later confirmed the allergy. Something to think about anyway.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:59 PM on Jul. 4, 2008