What would you do...opinions please

I would love to be a SAHM, but my current situation's benefits may out weigh the benefits of being a SAHM. If I chose to stay at home with my 3yr old and the baby on the way, I would be giving up a teaching job where I am home by 4 almost everyday....plus off 3 months out of the year. Also, during the summer I enjoy doing little things like purchasing a season pass to the water park, or vacation, or lunch dates at McDonalds with other moms. We could not afford ANY of that if I stayed home. Also, when my children get to be school age, they can come to school with me. I can hand pick their teachers and be right there with them at school. But, I know that there are many benefits to staying home....but is it worth giving up the deal I already have going on right now? What do you think? Advice would be appreciated!

beth0828

Asked by beth0828 at 2:25 PM on Oct. 28, 2008 in General Parenting

• It's hard to be a working mom but think about what you can do with the kids now and how that would stop if you stayed home with them, I would stay working.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 2:28 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• For me, all of the things you mentioned are "extras" and I would be willing to give them up to be home with my kids. I'm currently a SAHM (since my first child was born) but I am trying to reenter the workforce. My hubby is having trouble juggling work and school, so I'm going to support the family until he graduates, then he will find work and I'll go back to being a SAHM.

With my hubby being a student and only working part-time, we go without a lot of stuff. However, for me it's worth it to be there for my children. I hope you don't feel like I'm judging your choice, because I'm not. You need to figure out what you want for your family. I can tell you that my kids don't feel left out because I don't buy them new exciting toys and I don't take them to theme parks. We play at the playground, get books and movies from the library, etc. We have lots of fun, and it's free.
    degsyuna

Answer by degsyuna at 2:34 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• It sounds like you have the best of both worlds right now. I would stay working, especially since we have no idea what the economy is going to do. While teaching is a recession proof job (somewhat) it would probably be easier/better to stay where you are.
    lanckn

Answer by lanckn at 2:35 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• That is a really hard position to be. I have my teaching degree, but before I could get a job, I found out that I was pregnant. I chose to stay home with my son because to me that is the most important job in the world. I didnt want to miss out on anything, like his first words, or his first steps.. sure you wouldnt have that extra income, but you would have all the extra time with your kids. GL...
    Anonymous

• Your kids are only little once. Cherish it. I started going to college for teaching and stopped. It all worked out in the long run because now I'm a SAHM of three kids...and we homeschool! I get the opportunity to teach the 3 most important kids in my life! How cool is that?!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 2:36 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I would continue to work, with you working your little ones will be in daycare right? This gives them the chance to make friends and become a little more independent. Your income gives your children what they need. Like you said you are off for three months a summer, and home by four most days. Maybe while you are at work this could give your SO more bonding time that he may need with the LO's. I know my husband cherishes the alone time he gets with my daughter (even though he's turning her into a little tomboy,lol) You need to look at the pros and cons to everything. That's what I had to do when my LO came along, and I chose to continue to work.
    KlousMomi

Answer by KlousMomi at 2:48 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• To me, you get both. You work, giving you the money you need/want, as well as some adult interaction, and yet your job enables you to have time to be at home, doing sahm things with them. I'd keep things as they are, b/c to me, you've got it made. But, you have to do what's right for you.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 4:48 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I think teaching is the ideal job for a mother. I wish I was one. I would keep the job.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:56 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• A newborn baby needs their mother. I would stay home.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 6:46 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I would continue to work. I am a SAHM, but only because my DH makes enough that we can afford those extras. And if he didn't, then I would go back to work. Yes I know that they are only little once, BUT I worked when both of my girls were little, and the only one that I have been home for is my 3rd, and I don't feel that I missed out on anything when my girls were little and i was working. I would rather be able to do the extras with my kids, so they have those memories than be a SAHM.
    MarshaB702

Answer by MarshaB702 at 8:50 PM on Oct. 28, 2008