My 5 yr old grand-daughter is going on an ADHD MEDS...I want some feedback plze???

sunnysheri67

Asked by sunnysheri67 at 5:54 PM on Oct. 18, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• You just want opinions? Well, in general. without knowing details, I do not agree with medicating children that young for diagnoses such as ADHD. In most cases, I don't even agree with a child that young being diagnosed.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 5:57 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Concerta is the same thing as Ritalin only it's a one a day pill where Ritalin is twice a day. Concerta is also enourmously expensive where you can get Ritalin in the generic.
    My 11 yr old step son is on Ritalin. They just changed him from Concerta once we found that out.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 5:57 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I agree with the first poster.

Answer by older at 5:59 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Be prepared for her appetite being suppressed for most of the day and then being ravenously hungry later in the evening. That is when I would feed her. Don't know what med it is but Ritalin would have that effect.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:00 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• What do you need help with?
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 6:01 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• One other thing...I've noticed that he also has a hard time getting to sleep at night being on the meds. He has to take Melatonin to get there. his dad also has mild ADHD.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 6:03 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Was it the school that referred her to be diagnosed with it? I would personally hesitate to place the child on medication (especially that young).
    Anonymous

• My son is taking Intuniv, a non-stimulant medication, that does not effect his appetite. It did make him a little sleepy for the first few days, but other than that it's been working well for him.

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 6:04 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I really don't like the idea of young kids being diagnosed with ADHD or ADD and hate the idea of them being on meds. Kids are going to act out. Kids are going to not pay attention to something they have no interest in. I really don't think at 5 you can have an accurate diagnosis but that is just my opinion. I hate to sound harsh because it is just my opinion but parts of society now a days don't seem to know anything about childhood and want them to grow up and act like adults too early. ADHD and ADD at a very young age to me is a copout for not wanting to deal with a kid being a kid. Putting a kid on medicine that is meant to subdue them is like taking away their personality. I'm not saying having any kid on meds for ADD or ADHD is wrong because I really don't know what they go thru IF they really have it but it is just my opinion that 5 and younger is just too young to really know.
    jroseh68

Answer by jroseh68 at 6:23 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I would go to the Health Food or All Natural store in your area, and educate myself, and try the all-natural route before I gave my children any "full-time" medication. And that's exactly what I did for my son with Asperger's!
    TimandMely4ever

Answer by TimandMely4ever at 6:30 PM on Oct. 18, 2010