What do you have against Santa?

I saw a question about telling kids the truth about Santa. I get that at a certain age you will want to tell them, but do you take issue with Santa... and if so why?

Just curious. Not bashing.

Niki_sd

Asked by Niki_sd at 5:58 PM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Holidays

• Personally, I feel that if my kids learn about him and believe in him I won't stray their opinions. However, I'm not going to go out of my way to instill that belief in them. I can understand the magic behind it, but that isn't what Christmas is about for anyone. Whether they're religious or not, there's more to Christmas then Santa.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:59 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• No issues here, I love Santa, and so did my kids for as long as I could keep it that way!

Answer by older at 6:00 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I have no issue with Santa. We love Santa in this house :) My daughter is the only one who still "believes" but it is SO much fun even for my boys who are 13 and 11 to still feel the magic of Christmas. They figured it out on their own, and they never once saw it as us "lying" to them. I don't understand what is the harm in letting your child believe in something magical like that if they know the true meaning of Christmas (whatever that might be for you). I grew up believing in Santa til I was 10, and i am SO glad my parents let me have that part of my childhood. I still to this day love the holidays and everything that comes with it and I truly believe that Santa exists as the spirit of giving at that time of year. I will not take that feeling away from my kids. That is just my opinion, I know people can raise their kids how they want to and it's not my business, I just don't understand it is all.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 6:02 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I think its a "cute' fantasy - eventually all kids learn its not true -for Me, it wasn't devistating that it wasn't "real" but it made it fun while being a child..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 6:03 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I LOVE SANTA! My Christmas tree is decorated in Rudolph, Frosty, and Santa every year! Bring on the childhood joys! =)
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 6:03 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I don't have an issue with Santa. My children have Santa books and movies...

That said, I have a big issue with being a hypocrite! I am very firm in teaching by example. I would never willingly do something that I teach my children not to do. That includes telling lies. If it's not true, it's a lie, even if it's just for fun. In order to set the example I want them to follow, I don't believe in telling children Santa is real, as I know he's not.

But I don't see any reason to deny children the stories or the movies or whatnot simply because it's fiction... I don't censor Scooby-Doo just because he's fictional, so I don't do any different with Santa, I just make a point to make sure they know he's (and other fictional characters) are fiction.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:05 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I have no issue with santa, I have an issue with telling my children a lie. I would no sooner tell them that there is a boogey man under the bed, then I would tell them that santa is real.

They still have the same fun as any other child, they simply know that what they get are gifts that are given to them with love from friends and family.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:09 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I'm not a fan of the commercialization of Christmas. There is such a deeper meaning behind Christmas besides getting and parties. However, I do believe that some of the magic of Santa helps remind us of that deeper meaning. Christ gave all for us, so that we could live and have hope. Santa gives all his time to make kids happy. Christmas for me should be about giving, not getting. I love the meaning behind Santa and will let my kids believe in him as long as they want. For one, my mom just got remarried and her husband has the disposition and looks of St. Nick! But even when they "find out" and "outgrow" the idea, I want them to still believe in the idea of Santa in that giving is the greatest gift you can give yourself.
    Reenieredhead

Answer by Reenieredhead at 6:13 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• The only beef I have w/Santa is...My daughter likes his presents more than the ones we give her! haha
    Chell.o_0

Answer by Chell.o_0 at 6:18 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I love Santa. I have nothing against him.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 6:25 PM on Oct. 18, 2010