How do I get the truth?

October 17th 2010 My daughter Uwakokunre Ayinde died. She had Spinal Muscular Atrophy type 2, and children with that condition go to meet their creator considerably earlier then most. The common cause of death with SMA is primarily due to respiratory complications, but there are other signs that lead up to the inevitable. IE: Fever, lethargy, low oxygen levels, wheezing and/or coughing, etc.. Things of this nature tell you if the child is sick. This was not the case with my daughter. Koko was fine before I left her with her nurse. Her saturation's was at 97%. She had no fever. She was talking, wide awake and watching tv. No coughing. No runny nose. Nothing. Just as healthy as a little girl in her condition could be. So what happened? My daughter's nurse says one minute she fine and the next minute she was dead. No signs whatsoever. That is just not possible. So I ask, I think there was negligence. How do I get the truth?

aziza4

Asked by aziza4 at 5:59 PM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• This is so fresh to you. Find a lawyer that is recognized in this field. Ask for recommendations from other lawyers you have used for real estate, wills, etc. There should be a website that rates lawyers. This is likely a case where the lawyer will be paid from the proceeds. In other words he will only be paid if he wins.
    Right now, get through the funeral and be easy on yourself. I am so sorry for your loss. I have lost two of my children and would suggest that you find a group of parents who have loss children. Compassionate friends or other groups.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:27 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I am so sorry for your loss.

You need to have a consultation with a lawyer. You can call several and see if they handle this kind of case. Most will give you a free initial consultation. I would go to a few to compare what they say and what is involved. I think looking at the hospital records would be the first step.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:32 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I am so sorry about your terrible loss, but that truth might be hard to get considering that everyone in the medical profession cover for one another.

Answer by older at 6:01 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Not sure how you go about starting an investigation, but I am so sorry for the loss of your daughter.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 6:02 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I would seek out legal counsel. They can explain to you what steps to take in finding the answers. I am sorry for your loss and hope you find the answers you seek.
    4_28_bbboy

Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 4:07 AM on Oct. 19, 2010