How can you protect your kids from online predators?

As cyber-bullying becomes an ever-pressing problem and younger children are connecting with friends and strangers via social networking sites, it is becoming increasingly obvious that more safety measures must be taken to protect children online.

sarahlink38

Asked by sarahlink38 at 6:03 PM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I won't allow my kids to use the internet.
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 6:05 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Limit their pc time and monitor everything that they do. Honestly, unless it's homework related, children don't have a value in time spent on the computer. If they have friends, they should be in real life and spending time with them that way, not on the computer.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 6:05 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• keep then talking to you. know their friends. have them only use the internet where YOu can see what they are doing too.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 6:06 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• 1. No computers in the bedrooms. Keep it in a room accessible to all and you can be able to see at a glance what's' going on.
    2. Know your child(ren's) friends online. Ask questions and keep the lines of communication open. If they are on facebook friend them and also if they are young, know the password so you can more closely monitor things.
    3. Talk to them about what could happen. Let them know it is NEVER a good idea to meet someone they met online alone.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 6:08 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• But social networking sites like Facebook and Twitter are so easy to access nowadays, how do you feel about this?
    sarahlink38

Comment by sarahlink38 (original poster) at 6:10 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I'd make sure the know the seriousness of everything they post. Every statement, video or picture is out there for EVERYONE to see FOREVER, once they put it out there they cannot take it back.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 6:27 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Here's the thing... the issue is NOT the predators online, it's the actions that teens, and people take after they are contacted by those predators... No one has ever been raped, kidnapped, murdered or bullied over the internet - unless some super predator is out there who can reach through computer screens it's not likely to happen. However, when teens and even adults allow these people online to affect their lives it becomes a danger situation... The best defense is a good offense. Make sure they not only know the dangers of what can happen but that they understand it DOES happen when and if people allow it to happen. You can chat all night with someone, make friends, get to know them, but if you are going to meet them, you do it in public and you take a friend. You never back down to a cyber bully or allow them to affect you - stand up to them online just like you would off...

cont...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:32 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I don't buy in to the spying parent idea, I don't believe I need to have my children's passwords or check up on them - I don't do it off line I'm certainly not going to do it online. I don't buy in to the "family computer" either because frankly I believe everyone deserves their privacy. But I believe if you teach your children basic online etiquette, and the what not to do kind of things for off line contact there is really very little danger. When I was a teen people had internet, myspace, chatrooms and all that, we never worried about crazies, but we also never agreed to meet anyone alone... We understood they were strangers even if we "knew them" online. In actuality I think actual pen-pals are more dangerous because you're handing your address to a complete stranger and then developing a "relationship."

As with just about anything else, I think education is the best answer...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:37 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• duckigrrl said exactly what I would have said. I won't go in to great detail but this happened to our family.
    I allowed my daughter to play an online game (my neice & nephew also played, and their mother). I noticed her starting to be a little sneaky with her computer and her cell phone over a 2 week period. I told her it was time for a cell phone and computer "check" and her face went pale. All #$%^ broke loose that day! I felt my world was falling apart!
    To make a long story short, I reported this to the FBI and found out this #*# was in his 40's!
    She now has limited access to her computer when we are in the same room and can only text her friends that WE know on her cell phone.
    SunnieStyles

Answer by SunnieStyles at 6:46 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• @SabrinaMBowen: I can only imagine what this kind of attackers can do to our children if not prevented.
    sarahlink38

Comment by sarahlink38 (original poster) at 7:07 PM on Oct. 18, 2010