Those who don't agree with medicating a child with ADHD....

...do you have a child with who has been diagnosed??

skittles1108

Asked by skittles1108 at 6:05 PM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I don't generally have anything against medicating IF that's what it takes. But I think there are other and at times better options which should be visited and explored first. If and when other options fail, sometimes medication is a necessary evil.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:18 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• *I* was diagnosed with ADHD as a child, and rather than medicating me, my parents didn't feed me crap that made it worse. I would never medicate my children.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:07 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Same here. My son was "diagnosed" by the school (as if they knew?) and I fought it. Turned out to be he was a kinetic learner and needed hands on learning instead of sitting at a desk. He ended up being the head of all his classes and even surpassed those in higher grades.
    MaryWolfe

Answer by MaryWolfe at 6:08 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• My step son has ADHD, and I think that more non-medication things should have been tried before prescribing meds, but the meds do help him. It's too early to tell if he has any side effects, and I hope he doesn't, because I definitely don't think anything stronger is needed in his case.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 6:08 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• My son hasn't been technically diagnosed but his teachers have been through all the testing and recommended him to get put on pills. It's not effecting his homework or his grades so I will not medicate him and every year he is getting better and better so I'm glad I didn't just medicate him because I almost did. I understand though that some children need medication so I'm not anti-ADHD medication. I'm just anti- using it without trying other courses of action first. Medication should be the last choice if nothing else works.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 6:09 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I have ADHD and my 13 year old dd has ADHD, neither of us are medicated.  I neither agree nor disagree with medication and I think that every parent has their own unique situation and circumstances.  You have to decide which is best for you and sometimes you need to try the meds to know if they are right for your child or not.

The only thing that really concerns me is my dd's education and so far she is doing ok.  I may have to re-evlauate that when she starts high school next year but for now, she doesn't need meds.  The hyperactivity is something we just have to deal with and it isn't as hard as when she was a toddler.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 6:24 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

Well said Sabrina!

My son has Asperger's Syndrome, and rather than put him on the meds recommended, I educated myself on the triggers, and went to the Health Food Store. He is now on a 3-step ALL NATURAL program and it's completely changed him!
    TimandMely4ever

Answer by TimandMely4ever at 6:27 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• no, but I have family members that have been, and friends kids that have.
    from what I've heard they have better luck with Chinese medicine, but that's just what I've seen.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 6:33 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• My son has ADD, not ADHD. I tried medication, however, it actually made his symptoms worse. We ran the gamut over multiple medications and multiple dosages. waiting 8 weeks before changing anything. Over the course of about a year, we simply decided that he wouldn't respond to medication. It may work for other children, but not for him. So we tried some of the recommendations for diet and activity changes and we have noticed a world of difference. I am not against medicating children with ADD or ADHD. I just know what works for my child.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 6:39 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I have a spirited child. If I chose to take him to be evaluated, I'm sure he would be diagnosed with something. Sadly, that's the common trend these days....
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 6:08 PM on Oct. 18, 2010