building contractor are worried. Is this insane or what??

My mom is getting windows replaced tomorrow because on friday contractors are worried about how they can afford to stay in business let alone who will be able to afford them with new EPA rules.
They have to:
Wear hazmat uniforms
Put up plastic cubicles and quarenteen the work area
Have a decontamination unit
Have generator pump to create positive air flow
Take an EPA certification class

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/home_garden/stories/2010/03/21/dust-up-over-lead.html

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 6:15 PM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Crazy!!

For that you can thank a DEMOCRATIC environmental lobbyist!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:36 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• First off, this ONLY applies to work in homes, child-care facilities and schools built before 1978, when lead paint was outlawed. Lead paint is pretty toxic stuff, so I don't see anything wrong with taking every precaution possible, sorry.

Only someone who LOVES the idea of BIG nanny government coming in and taking care of them because they can't/won't care for/educate themselves~ would see "nothing" wrong with this....  The EPA reports that the new reg. impact~ approx 38 million homes and apartments (40 %) of real estate inventory.  I can see this law lowering the value even MORE of older homes..  IMO~ not what is needed in sour housing market.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 6:58 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• LOL.. I provided a fact/link to discuss in addition to op's link and THAT is what you libs consider spewing nonsense?  What is this a game of Confuse a liberal???.......... USE logic...

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:34 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I just happen to think health issues (especially when it comes to kids) are more important than money.

Which is why you support a blanket rule that penalizes everyone, INCLUDING people who have had lead free homes for 20 years but, since they were built before the date, will still have to pay extra. Where the hell is the logic in that? You want to protect children by taking money away from their parents that could've been spent a dozen different ways. Homes ALREADY get lead paint inspections when they're sold. The only way a house has children in it that hasn't already had that inspection is if the house has been passed down from parents to children or they live with the grandparents.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:46 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• from the article

"Other contractors have little use for the training, which many consider unnecessary and a way for the EPA and trainers to make money. Each contractor must pay $300 to the EPA to get certification, in addition to the $180 to $300 for each employee trained."

Isn't it always about money?

lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 6:24 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:40 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Anouck, surely you don't think homes/facilities built AFTER 1978 will be get a discount. The contractors still have to pay for the training and equipment to be in regulation even if they never use them. Who will ultimately pay for that? I am thinking the answer is the CONSUMER!

OP, this is another fine CROCK O' CRAP brought to us by liberal Democrats.

My dry cleaners is going to be hit with some new regs soon where our boiler is concerned. It is going to cost me about the same as a brand new boiler to meet the regulations. I would face the same costs even if I bought a new boiler. My boiler inspector said boilers housed such as mine shouldn't even have to do this to begin with...they are already very safe.

Oh, guess who gets to pay for this?????? That's right!!! The CONSUMER!!!!!!!!!!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 8:44 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• All of the trade information I have heard has costs increasing around $500-2000 per project.... This isn't about anything other than money....A way for the EPA to make money. IMO, this has the potential to risk home sales of older "fixer up" homes, especially those built 1940's and earlier~ due to additional costs..
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 6:36 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Anouck, I thought we weren't worth your time? Yet you continue to come back while avoiding discussing the actual DEBATE topic.... Care to share with us some more liberal insight on the topic?? Put those IQ points to work... ;o)
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:18 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• How friggin depressing.

Is this the beginning or part of Crap and Trade?

Idiots.

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 6:22 PM on Oct. 18, 2010