Would you let someone other than you pick out Baby's Coming Home outfit?

We're not going to find out Baby #2's gender so I'll need to buy four outfits and return three after Baby arrives. I was thinking of letting my MIL pick out the outfit after Baby's here since I'll be in the hospital for a couple of days (scheduled c-section). I really prefer to do this myself but also think that it would be nice of me to let her do it. It would make her feel good... but I also think I'd hear about it f.o.r.e.v.e.r. And I might regret it. (I just don't want to tie-up our money and then be burdened with having to return the other three outfits with a newborn and toddler in tow.)

SBMommies

Asked by SBMommies at 6:29 PM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I couldnt do it
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 3:33 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• No, but I'm not seeing why 4 will have to be purchased.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 6:33 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I would buy one pink and one blue outfit. Then you only have one outfit to return and you can do it later...most stores have a 30 day return policy.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 6:40 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Sure, it's just an outfit!!
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 6:30 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Why four? Get something in a gender neutral color, like yellow. Get something that a is reasonable for your weather. And really, you are probably going to need all those outfits eventually. To me, its just clothes. I don't even remember what my daughter came home in. I went into labor early and just kind of threw some stuff into a bag.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 6:34 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I would buy two sizes for each gender. And they'll be Thanksgiving outfits since this is a scheduled c-section for the day before Thanksgiving. I'm sensing that most of you would prefer to buy the outfit though and not hand that over to someone else.
    SBMommies

Comment by SBMommies (original poster) at 6:42 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• it's involing others and it's her new grandbaby too..they all love to be a part of the experience so why not let others help especially if you already have a toddler...i have 7 children and would have loved to have ANY kind of help with just two...the help gets less the more you have....coming from experience...so i suggest dont do it all by yourself...if you have others willilng to help even if it is to pick out an outfit...it will still be cute and it's still giving you a lil piece of mind.....i agree with another answer...i dont see why 4 outfits have to be purchased...one of each gender would be plenty....
    mommalissa09

Answer by mommalissa09 at 6:52 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Since you don't know the gender why don't you just let MIL get it when baby is born? Either way I would not buy 4 outfits. When my first was born I didn't know the gender and I just brought a few gender neutral outfits/onesies in the newborn size. As it turned out he was over 9 lbs but I was able to squeeze him in :-)

With my 2nd we were told it was a girl but it ended up a boy. I don't even remember what he came home in. I'm sure I must have brought something pink to the hospital but I'm sure that is not what he came home in, so I must have had some neutral stuff too.

I agree that it is only an outfit.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:55 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Honestly, I couldn't care less about the coming home outfit... I can't remember what my son ended up wearing at all. So if it makes your MIL happy, by all means, let her do it. It's one outfit, no big deal.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:06 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Why do you have to get four? I didn't know the sex of my baby either. I picked out a girl outfit, and the dad picked out a boy outfit. The one we didn't use, I'll be giving away as a gift to another friend since I know a lot of people having babies (I wanted both to be washed and ready at the hospital which didn't allow me to take one back).
    EverydayMomma

Answer by EverydayMomma at 7:09 PM on Oct. 18, 2010