Can you tell the difference between Asians & Mexicans?

LAS VEGAS – Nevada U.S. Senate candidate Sharron Angle told dozens of Hispanic high school students last week that "some of you look a little more Asian to me," inducing gasps from the crowd and marking the latest eyebrow-raising remark she has uttered on the campaign trail.

Angle, a Republican in a close contest against Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, met Friday with the group at a Las Vegas high school after students expressed anger with her campaign's anti-illegal immigrant message.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101018/ap_on_el_se/us_nevada_senate_angle

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 6:47 PM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Scary.... That's really all I can say about that. Hopefully the majority of voters will see that too.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:52 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Funny thing is that Mexico is a melding pot too. People from Mexico can have ancestors that are Mayan, Spanish, German, French, and more. A lot of people look at the Mexican people as if they are all uniform, actually a lot of them come from diverse backgrounds.
    in act most of Central America and South America is that way as well. I have a friend who looks Chinese, was raised in Peru, and lives here in America married to a woman who is mostly German. You just can't tell by looking at a person what their background is.

beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 7:00 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I'm sure there was more to that statement.
    One thing I gotta say Sweet you sure are a Liberals dream campaigner. LOL Where do you come up with this crap?
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:45 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• "What we know, what we know about ourselves is that we are a melting pot in this country. My grandchildren are evidence of that. I'm evidence of that. I've been called the first Asian legislator in our Nevada State Assembly."

She also said this. I think that, once again, some one's words are taken out of context. I understand the "melting pot". I believe, as she stated, that we shouldn't be able to discern some one's ethnic make-up after a while. We all melt into one culture in America. I got it. What is so difficult about it?

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:24 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Whatever, sweet. LOL. You just make me laugh everytime you get so bent out of shape over what I say. It's like a cat with a mouse.
    jaycietaylorgma

Answer by jaycietaylorgma at 7:15 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Jaycietaylorgma, keep telling yourself that. Truth is, the Republicans are doing a fine job of shooting themselves in the foot by this crop of absolutely INSANE people they're letting run for them.... Believe me, I'm a staunch Democrat, and I WELCOME every nut case/tea party candidate, because it's only strengthening the Democratic position. I'm not worried in the least bit about the election.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:03 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Not too sure it is the republicans who need the luck. But then you likely do not pay any attention to politics. I would guess the just for fun section would be more your speed.

Answer by Carpy 56 minutes ago

__________________
    Do you really think it is appropriate to consistently insult and demean people who are not Repoublican? People who think for themsleves....we don't just automatically accept what you say .
    This is true,you know, that there are some loons out there running as Republicans. Probably some loony Democrats too...but we WERE discussing Angle....a super-loon.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 9:28 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• so are we saying that only Hispanics have babies with their own race??? If some of them look Asian maybe there parents are of Hispanic and Asian decent. so what if she said that it has nothing to do with what she may do for the state of Nevada. every person that i know has put their foot in their mouth more then once so what if she has done the same thing. Including many women on here.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 9:32 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• so big deal?? ethinicities get mixed up all the time. heck, when i moved to arkansas, most people thought i was mexican. i am 3/4-Cherokee. my dad, who is FBI, gets mistaken for Asian all the time. when the first 'karate kid' movies came out, everyone started calling my dad 'mr. miyagi'. BIG FREAKIN DEAL!
    people are too damn sensitive about crap that doesn't mean a hill of beans in reality.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:59 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Good Lord- SA or HR.....what a choice. Lots of folks are an amalgamation of genetics. SA should just close her trap for the next 2 weeks.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 9:13 AM on Oct. 19, 2010