How do you feel about your teens joining social networking sites?

Do you allow them to join on social networking sites like Facebook, Twitter, Myspace, etc. Most of this ask personal informations that some may use for cyberbullying, sexting, hackers, cyberstalking. Most children argue that because they use Facebook and only are in contact with friends they have accepted that the site is "safe". But is there really a safe site?

sarahlink38

Asked by sarahlink38 at 7:00 PM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I feel that facebook's origin of being for 18+ registered college students is the way to go.

my kids will NOT have access to social networking sites when the time comes for them.

not even 48 hours ago I accepted a friend request from my cousin, age 11, and had the unpleasant task of calling my aunt and letting her know the horrors that her bathroom mirror are being used for.... basically child porn. then I got to console her while she sobbed for an hour. internet = closely monitored. friends = at school, dance, church, etc
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 7:07 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Most of these websites allows 18 and above, I noticed that most kids fake their ages so they can join the sites.
    sarahlink38

Comment by sarahlink38 (original poster) at 7:12 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Most of these websites allows 18 and above

I have yet to see one that's 18+ only, they are 13+.

And if and when my kids want them, they can have them... I have them, I had them as a teen, I don't see an issue. If you teach your children how to handle situations they will encounter and you have raised kids who you can trust, you don't have cause to worry...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:33 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• i dont see an issue with it either. you can use them safley and i will monitor them to an extent while my kids are still young.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 7:40 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I see no issue and we keep very strict tabs on their profiles and such...they also can not block or delete me or their dad from them period...I also have full acess to them (they must provide their user name and passwords at all times...if I randomly go in to check their profile and they changed their password without notifying me of the new one then they loose it for a week)
    4_28_bbboy

Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 8:03 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• What if they create fake profile just to get away from the monitoring of their parents. Most of these sites do that. I never forget the power of Parental discipline and having a couple layers of protection will definitely help. But children's curiosity, when peaked, can turn them into mini super sleuths. If they want to find something out, they will do whatever it takes to get it, whether that means going to another computer at a friends house, or getting the help of a friend to help bypass whatever settings you have on your computer. Is there a way to derail these little masterminds?
    sarahlink38

Comment by sarahlink38 (original poster) at 8:30 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Facebook allows a child as young as 13 to set up a profile, so does MySpace. My son is 14 and has had one for 2 years...I set it up, I accept all friends requests, I have the password, am his friend as are a LOT of my friends and family. I look at his profile everyday. It is also set to private where only his friends can see his profile and info. Facebook also has other privacy products in place if the child is under 18. I also have taught my son that if ANYONE makes him uncomfortable he is to tell me and he does.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:52 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I just don't see the need....... my kids are starting to get into writing letters/sending mail and I'll encourage that always. I think facebook and the likes have destroyed true friendships, letter writing, grammar, spelling, and so on.

Who does a 12-15 y/o need to be IMing, chatting, emailing? A friend from school they spend 40 hours a week with? Call them and invite them over. Go bowling. Do SOMETHING.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 11:13 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• LOL. All kids are on FB, try stopping them. It's not that hard to teach them the dangers. I once showed my daughter a joke email: Who you think your chatting with - picture of a sweet young girl. Who you are really chatting with - picture of a huge hairy naked man. She got the message and doesn't even use her real name on FB.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 6:46 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I let my 13 yo join FB, I have access to his page. I won't let him do MySpace or any of the other ones.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 1:30 PM on Oct. 20, 2010