Is baptism a christian requirement?

dgall3

Asked by dgall3 at 7:02 PM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Christian baptism is an outward symbol that the one being baptized has made an unreserved and unconditional dedication to submit to the will of God. One of Jesus' final commands to his disciples was in Matthew 28:19,20. There in part he said to "go forth and make disciples, baptizing them and teaching them" so yes, baptism is required.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 7:26 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Mark 16:15-16 [15] He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation. [16] Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.

I have to go with the technicality here and say yes... whoever believes AND is baptized will be saved.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 7:05 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• which ones are you referring to there are three! ;-) Ready?? :-)
    Baptism of Water
    Baptism of Spirit
    Baptism of Fire

Baptism of Water is when we go in water and come up a new Creation
    Baptism of Spirit is what came upon us when we were saved
    Baptism of Fire is the INFILLING of the Holy Spirit!

All three are NECESSARY for a successful Christian life walking in the Kingdom, doing the Kingdom work such as Preaching the Gospel, Casting out demons, opening the eyes of the blind the ears of the deaf, the lame to walk and the dead to rise again.
    You cannot do these things without the Power and Authority of Christ within you... the baptism of Fire is where we get our gifts from. :-)
    Hope that helps!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 9:49 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• You can join and be part of any church without Baptism, however Baptism is an important rite in Christianity.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:17 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I don't believe so, no. I believe its a symbol, and that what it symbolizes is what's important, which can happen without the ceremony of the baptism itself. I believe God knows a man's heart and knows whether he has made a commitment to Him, devoted himself to Him. I don't believe that God needs or requires us to make a show of it, especially knowing us as He does.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 7:41 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Baptism is the outward symbol of the re-birth in Christ,and the new person inside. Yes, we do need to be baptized, but baptism does not bring salvation. My best example is the theif on the cross next to Jesus. He publicly acknowledged that Jesus was the Son of God, and asked Him for forgiveness,and to remember him to His (Jesus') Father. Jesus told him that on that day, he would be with Him in paradise. Now, I seriously doubt they climbed down off their crosses and went and found water for Jesus to baptize him, but he is just as saved as anyone else, and is in Heaven as I write this.
    jaycietaylorgma

Answer by jaycietaylorgma at 10:46 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I don't know if it is a requirement but I do believe that it is a blessing. I personally don't beieve that it is just a symbolic ritual but also causes actual spiritual cleansing. This form of purification is a wonderful thing to be done before someones ministry begins. I'm speaking of Water Baptism but the other forms of Baptism are also great blessings.

BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 3:06 PM on Oct. 19, 2010