Convertible Car Seats

My husband and I were compairing the convertible to the travel systems infant seats. We're running short on time to get one I'm due in 5 weeks. We were worried that with this baby that the convertible would become a problem weather wise with an infant. On the opposing end the convertible would last longer than the infant seat. Which is a huge plus for us. I was wondering if anyone has any problems with convertible infant-toddler seats?

My_o_me_x_3

Asked by My_o_me_x_3 at 7:12 PM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I personally couldn't have lived without an infant seat. If you go grocery shopping by yourself, where will the baby go... you can't push a stroller and a cart. You don't want to wake a sleeping baby every time you go to a store, and if you live in a cold weather climate it is much easier to keep a baby warm in an infant seat because you can't use coats or snowsuits under the car seat harness straps.
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 7:15 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I live in GA and when my DS was born we opted to go with the convertible car seat. I did find myself waking him at time but he always went right back to sleep. I went with the convertible seat mainly because of the time I thought he would be in an infant seat and the money an infant seat would cost. I do not regret my decision.
    gratefulangel77

Answer by gratefulangel77 at 7:30 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• We went with the travel system, which included the infant seat and switched to the convertible seat at a later date. For us it was a matter of convenience. Infant carriers go everywhere and makes life a lot easier when they're newborns. We've gotten good use out of both. My 4 year old is still in his convertible carseat, while my daughter is in the infant carrier.

Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 7:38 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I never liked to use the car seat as a carrier. I used a convertible from day one with my first DS. The only reason I didn't with my next tow is because they were only 4 & 5 lbs when they came home from the hospital. As soon as they were 8-10 lbs I moved them into a rear facing convertible. I never had a travel system. I don't like the idea of justs moving the baby's carrier and not holding the baby!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:55 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I would NEVER EVER be without my infant seat. I've always just bought a travel system which is SO convienant when they fall asleep in the car or when you need to run into the mall. Baby can get his nap and you can get things done.

Then I buy a convertable carseat around the first birthday which is about when my kids hit 20 pounds which puts them near the weight limit of the Baby Trend infant carseats. My kids remain rear facing until 35 pounds which is the max for the Britax Boulivard carseat. Then we flip it around.

A convertable is going to last you about 3 years because that's the average amount of years you have before it expires (YES CARSEATS EXPIRE). In our state kids have to be in carseats until 8 years old so no matter what you are going to have to buy at least 3 carseats. Might as well get the convienance out of an inant carseat and then move onto a convertable.
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 2:09 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I don't know of a seat that expires in 3 years time. 5 years is the shortest that I know of.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:13 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I recommend the travel system. That is what we went with based on tons of recommendations from friends. I have the Chicco Cortina. It snaps into the car and stroller to easy. They also have the "bundleme" that goes in the carrier and keeps baby really snug and warm in the winter.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 11:52 AM on Oct. 19, 2010