Would this be tacky?

My MIL is going into a nursing home and my dh and his brothers are going to clear her house. They are considering selling the contents outright. Would it be tacky of me to ask for the handmade quilt that I made her years ago for her bed? I need opinions.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:18 PM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Just for Fun

• no, ask and ask quick before it's gone!
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 7:19 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• no it's fine you made it and want it back cuz the person you gave it too can use it or whatever the reason she don't have it is....
    iNk-FrEaK

Answer by iNk-FrEaK at 7:20 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• if u consider it something with emotional connection, i wouldnt think so. u put a lot of hard work and time into it, so u should reap the benifits (if they are just gonna keep the money for themselves).
    Phippsandrea

Answer by Phippsandrea at 7:20 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I would just tel them you would not like it sold and so you'd like to keep it for safe keeping. ;-)
    sdgd21

Answer by sdgd21 at 7:21 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Nothing wrong in asking and especially if you made it.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 7:22 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• If she wasn't going to take it to the nursing home with her I would definitely take it without a thought. Something like that should not be given away. A handmade quilt is something special, sentimental.
    Iluvautumn

Answer by Iluvautumn at 7:26 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Why wouldn't/couldn't that quilt go with her to the home? I would think that she'd be allowed and encouraged to take some small personal items for her own physical and emotional comfort.

If not, then no, I'd ask, or perhaps offer some small payment for the quilt back.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 7:27 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Nothing wrong with that at all. After my grandma passed away, my grandpa was going to move and sell their house. They went through everything in the house and helped him sort of what he was going to keep. He only had room for so many things in the new place, so there was a lot of things to give away. He set aside a few things that he thought particular people would want, but he said anything in the room of things to be donated or sold could be for anyone if it meant something to them. My mom asked if she could have the afghan she knitted for him. I asked for a few sentimental things as well--just a few things to remember her by and one necklace that I gave her for Mother's Day years ago.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 7:29 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• No it wouldn't at all!
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 7:39 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I would do it
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 8:02 PM on Oct. 18, 2010