I don't think he will ever marry me....Would you rather be with someone who doesn't want to get married who you love or leave him to find someone else who wants to get married?

I'm staying with him

jessesmama22

Asked by jessesmama22 at 7:24 PM on Oct. 18, 2010 in

• I was married, it was a mistake. So was my SO, also a mistake... we bought into the idea of marriage, rather than the person.

Neither of us want to be married again, and we're simply happy being together. Marriage is not the end all, be all of relationship status.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:26 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I feel like if he really loves me then he wouldn't have such an issue commiting to me.

For my own personal beliefs, I do not believe in sex before marriage and since it's unlikely that a couple would go their entire lives together without having sex I would say that marriage and commitment is extremely important to me. Again that's just for me and I don't care what others do.

I would probably not stay with someone who would not marry me, especially knowing all the joy that my marriage has brought me.
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 7:27 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• What is marriage anyways. A legally binding paper, a couple rings made out of a precious metal, and some vows that have been said by how many millions of people. If I had to do it over again, I probably wouldn't get married (we thought it was the 'right' thing to do). That way when you do split up, nobody can take half your money/property/possessions.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 7:33 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• i wouldnt stay with someone who wouldnt marry me. if he loved me as much as he should to stay with me forever, then he should marry because its what i want and what a women dreams about.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 7:33 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Me...

I would rather be with someone who loves me & whom I love.

A marriage can not be a happy & healthy one without love.

Love between two people can be very happy and healthy without marriage.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 7:35 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I wouldn't be with someone who wouldn't marry me. If he wanted to be with me, then he would marry me. I wouldn't accept less. But thats just me. Marriage is important to me.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 7:38 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Being married doesn't automatically improve any emotional relationship you already have.

If it's the idea of being married that bothers both of you, and your relationship is healthy and happy without it, why fix what's not broken?

That said, legally, marriage has some benefits people don't consider. If you're not going to get married, you may want to make sure that there are wills, Powers of Attorney, etc. in place so that, God/dess forbid something happens, you each have the legal protections and rights that would come automatically were you married.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 7:43 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I am not a forever girlfriend. So for me marriage has to be in the future somewhere. I don't put a time limit on it but after a period of time it is clear the relationship will never progress that far, I would go.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 7:47 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• IMO, if he TRULY loved and respected you, and knew that you wanted to be married, he would marry you!

I wouldn't stay with a man who I didn't see eye to eye with!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:33 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I don't really care about marriage. If it happens, that's great. If it doesn't, that's great, too. Marriage, to me, is nothing more than a formality and a piece of paper. It's the relationship, the commitment, the love, the respect, etc. that means something, and you don't have to have a piece of paper for those things. So, I would definitely stay if I was happy and felt loved, and loved him.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 9:34 PM on Oct. 18, 2010