Question for pitbull owners

Are they natural guard dogs or watch dogs? I have a pitbull mix and she is very territorial of her home I was just wondering are they known to be good guard dogs or just watch dogs?

Apr1l

Asked by Apr1l at 2:42 PM on Oct. 28, 2008 in Just for Fun

• They are known to be very protective of their family but they are also very people friendly.! I have 3 of them...2 purebred & 1 mix. They bark and will even rush the gate is you come a knocking but once you are in...they will be all over you licking you to death! ..My family teases me that someone could rob me completely taking everything as long as you pet the dog on the way out!
    Dabugg698

Answer by Dabugg698 at 2:45 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• We have a pitbull and she if she where to feel like something is wrong she would attack. If you have small children in the home you need to be carefull, they can be the sweatest dogs but sometimes they can just snap. They are very good guard dogs.
    saysha100687

Answer by saysha100687 at 2:46 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• lol pet your dog out of the way that's cute, so your pit is a watch dog? Well, my dog is a pit german shepherd mix I was just wondering if the severe hatred for strangers came mostly from the pit of the shepherd side.
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 2:49 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• LOL....they are great watch dogs....they would watch you come in and come out as you take my stuff :). My dad used to breed shepards and they make wonderful guard dogs, so it could be from that. My pits are really attentive and "alert me" to things I may not notice. I have one that will go investigate a sound and only bark if needed. I have another that barks is dust moves. I rely on each of them in different ways. now if you a "stranger" and you come to my gate...they can put on a great show so only someone who is either stupid or knows them would attempt to come in without me letting them in but thats about as far as it goes "protection wise". I'm sure if it was a serious situation and either my, my childrens or their lives were in danger they would "step up" but I don't know anyone who would be dumb enough to challenge 3 pit bulls ...if you know what I mean.
    Dabugg698

Answer by Dabugg698 at 2:56 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• they are mean dogs!
    Anonymous

• Of course the neg. comment was posted by "anonymous"...
    Dabugg698

Answer by Dabugg698 at 3:32 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• bound to happen right lol.
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 3:35 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• BTW Why would I want a nice cuddly dog to protect my home? I don't, I want them only nice and cuddly to us and to people we say its ok to be nice and cuddly to. I want a vicious hell hound muhahahha
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 3:36 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• If you want a vicious hell hound...then get a chihuahua! LOL...I'm a vet tech and have worked in hospitals for about 5yrs now...nearly ALL toy breeds are little land sharks! Ive seen agressive dogs of all breed but have YET to met a PEOPLE aggressive pit bull! I have my 3 pits and my ex mother in law has a chihuahua...out of all 4...its the chihuahua you need to watch out for :)
    Dabugg698

Answer by Dabugg698 at 3:42 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• We just got a pit bull in Sept., he is about 5 mos old now. He is very sweet to us, but he barks at everyone that goes by, at all of our neighbors if they so much as look in our direction. It's a little annoying, but kinda funny, too. He is protective. My 5 yr old likes to climb on the fence, the dog will go over and wuff at him until he gets down. The other night, he had the brush to clean my grill on the ground, and I saw it at about 10pm. I opened the sliding door to go out, and he started growling at me and standing in front of the door, wouldn't let me out. Turned out there was a snake in the yard.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 4:33 PM on Oct. 28, 2008