Do you agree or disagree with spanking your child?

jessesmama22

Asked by jessesmama22 at 7:27 PM on Oct. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• Disagree completely. I don't see how physical punishment accomplishes anything positive. I'm all about time outs. They work, so why not do that instead of showing a child that hitting is okay?
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:28 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Time outs didn't work for me as a child!!

But I don't think it's as easy as saying agree or disagree. Do I think it should be used all the time for all situations?? No! But I think there is a time and a place for it.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:30 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• DISAGREE
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 7:31 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Spankings should be like suprise birthday parties. Rare and memorable. They should be reserved for the "big uglies" when outward defiance meets dangerous situation. Like breaking away from mom in a busy parking lot and running because they are mad. Or going outside of the fensed yard. Or shoving their little brother down the stairs. If you save it for the big ugles, it will rarely happen and make quite the big impression.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 7:32 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• When used correctly, time outs will work for every child. It's all about consistency. I was spanked as a child, and while I'm not going to say it scarred me for life, they certainly didn't work for me...

But we all have an opinion, and we're never all going to agree.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:33 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Agree!
    mom23girls541

Answer by mom23girls541 at 7:34 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Disagree.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 7:38 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Agree!!
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 7:40 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Agree!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:44 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• disagree in all cases and situations I don't care what the deal is.

so many cases where the kid was spanked, swatted, smacked, whatever, then the parents were shocked when the kid started hitting back.

and how do you expect a kid to understand to not hit other kids when they get hit in one way shape or form themselves.

go ahead and tell me there's a difference between swatting, hitting, I say it's all the same and most likely your child thinks so too.

Anonymous