Does anyone else have an oldest child,

significantly older than the rest of your children,
who attempts to parent and control the other kids beyond belief? Attempting to make up and enforce their very own system of rules that have NOTHING to do with the rules of the house?

How do you handle it
?

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 7:34 PM on Oct. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• My oldest is NOT significantly older and tries to be the parent. Annoys the he** out of me but other than constantly reminding her that she is not the parent I'm clueless too.
    Anonymous

• have you consider that maybe you put so much responsibility on this kid that they feel it's their job? I'm 10 years older than my baby brother, and over time I was told that I was 'not the mother'
    but yet I often was responsible for the amusement, feeding, homework and all kinds of other things for this child.

my mother wondered why he listened to me more, and why the school thought that our mother was dead since they practically never saw her-

Anonymous

_____________________
    This is not the case. I can't trust her to be alone in the same room with them while I use the restroom. I have the kids with me EVERY WHERE. She doesn't feed them, at all. She doesn't like the middle one. She's mean and bossy. I don't let her watch them.
    lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 7:46 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• My son thinks he's the dad of the house. I'll correct him or I'll just laugh n listen to my daughter tell him ur not my dad. He just try to boss the little ones around which is usually normal for the older child.
    lovelypisces

Answer by lovelypisces at 8:13 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• My oldest thinks she can boss everyone around, especially the youngest ones (she's 10 and the 2 youngest are 4 1/2 and 3 months).  I get so tired of her telling the 4yo what to do.  She mostly does it so she can get out of doing things.  I'll tell the 10yo to do something and she'll turn around and tell the 4yo to do it and then a big fight ensues.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:28 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I have an 18 yr old who thinks she is mom every once in a while...I have to remind her that she is not in charge of anyone but herself and that DH or I make the rules. If she doesnt like them she is welcome to move out.
    4_28_bbboy

Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 12:13 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• yes i just remind her all the time, we are the parents we can handle this.. if ever i need your help i will call you
    kileighsmommie

Answer by kileighsmommie at 12:38 AM on Oct. 19, 2010