anyone use reusable mommy pads?

I've been thinking about trying out the reusable pads I see on hyenacart. This whole cloth diaper experience has opened my eyes to how wasteful I really am and how mean I've been to G-D's gift to us (earth). I see that they are made from absorbent fabrics, so it can't be much different than a cloth diaper. I'm just concerned with that I have a VERY heavy flow at the beginning of each cycle. CAn anyone share their wisdom on this?

Please no comments about how gross this is. It's gross to have pads, tampons and diapers in a landfill as well. I don't need your rude comments, just advice from earth friendly mamas.

hill_star03

Asked by hill_star03 at 7:46 PM on Oct. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• Here, I did a blog post about this exact subject last month... There are links for different companies at the bottom as well...

Click here to read!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:57 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Yep, I use them, I love them! I use a diva cup and cloth liners, but I have used just cloth pads as well - before I got my cup. I love them, can't say I would ever do any different now!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:55 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Well, I don't see any reason that it wouldn't work ok.. I mean, it's what women used for centuries! If you could find some with a water-proof backing, you should be fine. Just make sure if you use them to wash in cold water (much better for blood) and don't use any fabric softener. I used fabric nursing pads, and if you wash anything with fabric softener it cuts the absorbency way down. My only concern would be if you went out for the day while on your period, what would you do with the used pads? You'd almost have to carry a big ziploc baggy, and that wouldn't be very fun. Good luck!
    KA91

Answer by KA91 at 8:12 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I'm thinking that I would just have a "wet-bag" designated for pads, the same way that I use a wetbag for my son's diapers when we go out.
    hill_star03

Comment by hill_star03 (original poster) at 8:15 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I use them, although not exclusively yet. Still building up a decent stash. I find that I don't' (sorry) bleed as hard when I use the cloth. It's better for my skin as well. I get irritated with the disposable stuff. There are a lot of pluses to switching to cloth, really. Keeps nasty stuff out of the landfill, skin comfort, and in the long run it saves money.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 8:36 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I also use a diva cup and love it. It works well for really heavy flows, I've never had to use liners with it. I have friends that make their own cloth pads and they have never had a problem. Treat them like cloth diapers and you should be just fine. Good luck!
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 8:38 PM on Oct. 18, 2010