Babies and milk.

What age did you start giving your baby milk? How much did you start off with?

Mrs.Robey_4ever

Asked by Mrs.Robey_4ever at 8:01 PM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i guess you mean cow's milk right? my kids don't drink it.....they don't need to drink it
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:02 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• 12 months. i just stopped using formula, and give him milk. full bottles.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 8:02 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I totally agree with the PP. We do give our kids milk though and they started around 11 month about 8-10 oz a day.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:03 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I started introducing it, maybe 1 ounce a day, around 11 months. Upped it to a couple ounces a day a couple weeks later. After a year I upped the milk while lowering the amount of formula - none of them were fully switched til close to 13 months or later.
    Anonymous

• Is there a reason they don't need cows milk? Or why do you choose not to give your children cows milk?
    Mrs.Robey_4ever

Comment by Mrs.Robey_4ever (original poster) at 9:14 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• My daughter is 14 months and I haven't given her cow's milk, yet. She still nurse at least 4 times a day, so she really doesn't need it. Once she weans, then I will give her cow's milk at meal times. I'm planning on nursing until about 2 years old, so it's not going to be anytime soon.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:48 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Cows milk is a human milk replacement the same way that formula is. If your child is getting human milk until they are old enough to get all their nutrients from food, they never need cows milk. Dairy is just a convenient source of certain nutrients, it's not required.

The reasons to avoid cows milk include allergy and intolerance issues. Those both can cause behavioral, immune and digestive issues. I had seasonal allergies my entire life and it turned out to be a symptom of dairy intolerance. It broke my immune system down so much I couldn't deal with environmental allergens.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 11:42 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Cow's milk is not recommended until after the first birthday because until then babies do not have the necessary enzymes to digest the protiens in it. Some babies do ok with it before then, and if you decide to try it early just start slow with 1oz and see how it goes.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:55 AM on Oct. 19, 2010