Why don't parents parent?!?!?

I am sorry if you get offended but the general population of parents do not discipline their children or control their outrageous behavior in any way.
Why?!?
I understand the child abuse laws, they are there for a reason.
But beating your child and disciplining your child are very different. You do not have to physically discipline your child, there are other methods. But so many parents let their children literally run around restaurants screaming and playing. The parents even find it cute and amusing....Have parents lost their sense of common descency??
Why do they not take their child outside when they are screaming and throwing a tantrum??
It infuriates me and I do not understand.
They may be tired of dealing with the child, but then what else is there to do? The problem doesnt go away. Sorry this isn't every parent there are still good even great ones out there. But generally they suck.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:45 PM on Oct. 28, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I willnot tolerate that kind of behavior from my girls and they know it. SO much as lip pouting in a store is enough for us to leave the cart where it sits and go home. It has beena t least a year since we had anything liek that happen and they are 2 and 4. I LOATHE people that allow their children to behave like maniacs. My daughters are sure every time to point out what another child is doing wrong ie Mommy we sit down at the table and use our fork and our napkin don't we?. So much so I've seen mothers get offended and huffy and leave the place. Maybe if they did some parenting my 4 year old would'nt have to point out their flaws. I would also like to add I have NEVER criticized another parent infront of my girls. They do it on their own.
    tat2edmommyof2

Answer by tat2edmommyof2 at 3:32 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I'm going to go ahead and say maybe they don't know what to do? Not everyone knows how to control a child. It takes practice and help from friends and family members to learn how to make your child listen and behave.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 2:52 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• A bad trend I've noticed is just not confronting the problem instead working around it. A friend will not bring their kids out to the grocery store, restaurant, or public place they always pay for a sitter instead so they don't have to chase them or deal with them wanting all this stuff. BTW giving my input to them doesn't do anything...
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 2:53 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I know what your saying. My aunt drug her grandson out of a store b/c my cousin wasn't paying attention to him/handling the situation! He's usually good about it, but guess he was distracted.
    I'd guess part of it is divorces. Some parents look for any excuse to use against their ex - and disciple is one of them! Some is laziness. One kid at the daycare I worked at lived with this grandmother and the mother brought every little mark the to attention of child services. So she didn't disciple him like she should have.
    Anonymous

• Oh yeah, and if you spank your kid in public (like if they're misbehaving in the grocery store) everyone thinks you're abusing them. It was ok to get spanked in the store in the 80s, why isn't it ok now LOL!!!
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 3:08 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• well my daughter knows that if she misbehaves in public thier is always a restroom for either a warning or a swat, she knows how too act in public now but there was a time...I know what your saying. it drives me nutts too.
    Izzyscrazymom

Answer by Izzyscrazymom at 3:12 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• i'm still learning how to discipline my children. My parents never did discipline us while we was growing up and by the time they thought it was time 15/16 we didn't listen we knew we didn't have to. My DD is getting better with listening to me out in public.
    Anonymous

• I totally get what you are saying and it frustrated the heck out of me! I think one issue is that too many parents want to be "friends" with their children. Or they think their parents were too hard on them and they are going to the extreme opposite.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 6:06 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• When i see something like that it makes ME want to run around the restaurant screaming, and carrying on, and then stop, look at them and say "Now, wasn't that ridiculous? Did it irritate you for me to do that? Yeah...well that is how all of the other patrons feel when you don't correct your child." :D
    ProudSingleMum

Answer by ProudSingleMum at 11:20 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• A lot of parents now are scared to discipline the kids. Many don't know what they will get in trouble for. You have to admit it CPS is called for the stupidest things anymore and even a parent getting after their kids in a public place will get CPS called on them by some person who has no reason to call. Don't get me wrong my children are very well behaved because I do discipline them. But I am one of those that doesn't care if I have to leave my cart in the middle of the store and take them to the car and take them home. There has been many of times I have left a store or a restaurant becuase they are acting horribly. But I rarely ever deal with it in a public place because of some of the things I've seen CPS called for. They know that once we leave some place that they are going to be in trouble once we get into the car and are heading home.
    cherbear3317

Answer by cherbear3317 at 11:59 PM on Oct. 28, 2008