Nothing good ever happens to our family...vent/dissapointment

Seriously, Im just truthfully upset that *I* messed up our heros at home registry by putting in my name DOB etc instead of my husband b/c of course the fine print was super tiny and i missed it!!! :( we have 100 dollars in savings, trying to live off the economy b/c the army put my husband on recruiting orders to southren california, its FREAKING EXPENSIVE here...while others who i feel probably arent in such a bad money situation are getting accepted. If it were not for family this year, i dont think our children or ourselves are getting christmas gifts. We simply cant afford it. We are trying to pay off debt, and have a car payment, and my dd's pre-school tuition...I messed up but it still hurts to watch others get accepted and here we sit broke as hell. :((((((((

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:04 PM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Holidays

• I'm sorry you're going through that and truly hope something works out. You never know...something good might come your way and make things better. Keep your head up, mama, and best of luck!
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 8:06 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• There is several groups right here on cafemom for "angels" to adopt kids or families for christmas. One i've belonged to in the past as an angel is called: MOMS WHO CAN'T AFFORD CHRISTMAS FOR THE KIDS & Birthdays, School items, and other holidays@ FRIENDSHIPS! Ways to save@ways to make money too

Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 8:08 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• well, your hubby has a job, you have a car and at least one child. you have other family to share the holidays with.....
    why don't you try to count your blessings instead of being jealous over other people and kicking yourself over a mistake? holidays are for being together with family and friends, not about getting presents and spending money. try to look at the bright side (totally not trying to be mean....just want to try to cheer you up lol)
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:08 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I hope your situation will improve. Keep your chin up and see if you can resubmit your registry.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 8:08 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I know I shouldnt complain because he has a job and all, but being on recruiting duty means you live off post usually several hundred miles away from a military instialtion, our BAH hardly covers rent and utilities, its just EXPENSIVE to live here...we had a good ammount of money saved up when living on post, you have no monthly expenses on post unless you want cable/internet/phone...so we could afford chistmas and all sorts of whatever...now we are litterally so poor we qualify for assistance on our energy and gas bills, pathetic that we even do. I hate that military memebers qualify for stuff like that...and thanks to the mom who suggested the groups but i just wouldnt feel right going there knowing we have family that will be getting our children things for christmas. It is just dissapointing. And yes holidays is for families and stuff i just HATE depending on others (family) when my husband has a job.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:14 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I'm sorry your going through all of this, but unfortunately your not alone. we are in the same boat financially. but all you can do is what you can do with what you have. find the brighter side of thing and count your blessings. dwelling on what you don't have or can't get will just attract more unwanted miss fortune.

northcarolinama

Answer by northcarolinama at 8:14 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• northcarolinama---I know, but in the 6 years we've been married not once have I EVER complained about not being able to afford christmas. I just needed to get it off my chest...we are doing everything we can to save money but it is never good enough. southren california will suck your soul and your bank account dry. it is so sad here...sure there is nice things but we cant afford them, and living this close to the beach is NOT worth having no money. And no moving right now is not an option, my husband has orders to report may of 11, and everywhere down here is expensive so it didnt really matter where we moved to.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:19 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Glad you have a place to vent, and I'm sorry to hear what your family has to go through. We've had rough patches in our road of life too, it sucks, and yes, thank goodness for family! Hopefully things will start looking up for you.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 8:44 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• That is disappointing. When our firstborn was celebrating his first Christmas, we couldn't afford a tree so I just cut out a Christmas tree shape from Christmas wrapping paper and taped it to the wall. You could do homemade gifts for each other this year. Or you could get something small the whole family could enjoy together. Or you could do gifts from the dollar store. There's lots of different ways you could still make it a memorable Christmas for your family. You just have to be creative and think outside the box. You can do it!
    zboys

Answer by zboys at 11:16 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Thank you for being understanding ladies!!! I really appriciate it. We've never asked for handouts and used to be so self sufficiant until we got volunTOLD to move to so cal. :( Its been very frustrating living here, causing problems in our marriage, because we never have money any more it seems. Anyway again thank you, and thank you for the ideas. :) We arent crafty people but im sure we'll figure something out.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:20 PM on Oct. 18, 2010