Why does daughter act badly to her dad in parent participation situations?

Our 4 year old (turned 4 in June) loves and adores her dad. He does a lot of hands on parenting ,makes lunches and snacks. We co parent.

But when they have things for parents to join in she tells him go away, or says no I want mommy. They had daddy daughter day at her school the other dads went to chapel with their kids but she stood with her arms crossed saying for him to go home. She said I want you and mom that time. She did it at her gym class today and all she would say is no I want mommy. I talked to her on the phone and she was pleading for me to come there. I said no I can't, and daddy is there with you and for her to let dad go in with her but she kept asking me to come.
When she got home I told her a lot of dads can't spend time with their kids like her daddy and she made him feel unloved she said no I do love my daddy. She is as comfortable with him in almost any other situation as she is with me.

montmom1

Asked by montmom1 at 8:27 PM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I hate to tell you, but this is totally normal. Kids want whoeve isn't there. My kids argue over who gets to sit with Daddy at dinner. They never want to sit next to me, because they are always with me. Sometimes it hurts my feelings, but then I get glad that they have spent TOO much time with me. Not every parent can say that. Tell your Hubby he is lucky.
    Also, he shouldn't let her call you. That only make you feel bad, it doesn't make her feel better. There is nothing going to happen, but show her she can manipulate you two.
    Good Luck.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 8:56 PM on Oct. 18, 2010