I am considering having my tubes tied and was recently told about Essure also... just looking for info and stories of others' experiences with either to help me make a decision.

i am pregnant with my third child now and also have a stepson so am not wanting anymore kids but i'm concerned with health effects of either procedure.

zaradance420

Asked by zaradance420 at 8:29 PM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Pregnancy

• If I had to do it over again I would not have gotten my tubes tied. I suffered from post tubal ligation syndrome with the increased cramping and heavy bleeding plus I felt I had much more pronounced PMS that came at 2 weeks and left at least 2 days after I started which could be anywhere from 2 weeks to 8 weeks.
    I should of instead had a mirena intra uterine device because 10 years after our last baby we felt like having more kids.
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 8:45 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I had my tubes tied almost a year ago and have had no problems. I was afraid of the surgery because I'd never had surgery before, but it was not bad at all, in and out in just a couple hours and I felt back to normal within a few days. It has been very liberating for me to not have to worry about pregnancy any more. I considered Essure but my midwife said that she did not recommend it because it had not been on the market long enough to be sure about long term side effects.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 8:56 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I also had my tubes tied, about 5 weeks ago, after the birth of our daughter. It was my first surgery. As far as being really sore for about a week after the surgery & birth, I haven't had any problems so far. I got my period already, so I guess everything's okay. I'm 40, so this was a good choice for me!
    nicksmom604

Answer by nicksmom604 at 9:04 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• i asked a similar question a couple months ago... my OB has recommended it, however, i am agreeing with nicksmom - depo sounded like a great idea way back when and let me tell you i can't believe that crap is legal stlil!! (plus that's what they want you to get for the initial time after the essure and there is no way in hell i will do that again - it's been about 15 years and I STILL suffer problems because of it). anyway... someone suggested i google essure and there is a lot of scary stuff about that. (note: had i had internet at depo and investigated i never would have gotten it - everything i read afterward was true - for essure there are some very consistent problems... be wary). some women had it done and said they didn't have any problems but none of them longer than a couple months. i am not convinced... i'm going for IUD which can have problems too, but it's been around.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 10:46 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• oops to clarify i am talking about essure - no clue about getting tubes tied
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 10:47 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• AND i mean riotgrl not nicksmom. it's time for bed lol
    figaro8895