How would I know if my son has an ear infection?

My son is 8 and half months and has been running a fever for the last two days and I thought it was just from teething but... he has been pulling at both of his ears... He did not sleep what so ever last night which is not like him what so ever..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:37 PM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Take him to the doc

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:37 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• you could take him to the pediatrician to get it checked out, but i will add that my oldest son pulled on his ears for a comfort sort of thing and i kept thinking he had a ear infection and took him to the dr. and he said it was for comfort while he was teething. you could just take him to see what it is
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:39 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Seeing he has had a fever and pulling his ears, he needs to be seen by a doctor...ONLY way to know for certain.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:40 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• There ya go. Not sleeping well was and is always the first sign with my kids - they were never ear tuggers. Throw in fever, yucky nose, etc, after a couple days, and their ears would be flaming red inside when we'd go to the doc. Take him in tomorrow!
    Anonymous

• By your description, it does sound like he might have an ear infection, take him to the doctor right away, my first born's ear drum burst because she had a middle ear infection but no fever and no signs, and now at 33 still deals with problems....

Answer by older at 8:44 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• My son pulls on his ears a little when he's tired, but the fever with ear pulling makes me suspect an ear infection too. Better to be safe and get him checked by the doctor.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:50 PM on Oct. 18, 2010