Going to a catholic church...what do I do when I get there??

I am thinking of taking my 2 year old with me to visit a catholic church. This sounds like a dumb question...but what do we do when we get there? Can she sit with me during the service? How am I suppose to dress?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:11 PM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• That's not a dumb question at all. Have you ever been to a liturgical service? It will be similar to Episcopalian or Lutheran services. Dress - clean and covered is the most appropriate. I do not have a lot of nice clothes. There is only so much money and I make sure my kids have what they need, and that means that I sometimes have to go without. Most women in Catholic churches do not wear head veils anymore, but it is not considered appropriate to show a lot of cleavage in church (and as far as I'm concerned, it's not appropriate for a Christian woman to show cleavage out in public).

Your child can sit with you during the service. Some churches do a "children's liturgy" for part of the time in a separate room, but a two year old may be a little young. Catholics believe that when the priest says the words of the prayer during the Eucharist, that God does a miracle and transforms the bread and the wine (continued)
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 9:18 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Also, be aware, if you are not Catholic, you cannot take communion w/them.
    LadyCash

Answer by LadyCash at 9:43 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• When you enter the sanctuary people usual bow towards the alter and cross themselves. If you are not a catholic don't worry about it.
    Your daughter can sit with you during Mass, maybe bring her some colouring or a book or quiet toy to occupy her. My children eat cheerios and have water to drink as well. (they are both under 2)
    You should wear nicer clothes. But I have worn jeans and a nice top to church before. Whatever you are comfortably in.
    The most important thing to know is that Catholics believe that they are in the presence of the One True God in the form of the Eucharist (communion). If you are not a practicing Catholic you shouldn't take communion, you can just stay in your seat or put your hands over your heart and receive a blessing.
    If you have any questions just ask the person next to you or the greeter at the door (if they have one). Most people are happy to help you find the hymns and follow the service.

tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 9:21 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• (continued) into the Body and Blood of Christ (in other words, we take John 6 literally). This is why non-Catholics and Catholics who are too young, or have not had the faith formation to prepare them, are asked not to receive Communion. You can go up in the communion line with your arms crossed over your chest and receive a prayer of blessing, and so can your daughter.

If you don't feel comfortable standing when everyone else stands, that is not a huge deal. We kneel during the Eucharist (literally "thanksgiving"; Communion) out of reverence and respect for Jesus present among us.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 9:21 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I'm not Cathlic, but hang out at a Cathlic board.

Clothes? Clean, neat and modest is fine.
    Your child? Some have childrens services, but some like the kids right there, involved with worship.
    What to do? Ask an usher or deacon, or maybe an elder, to help you out, they'll be glad to!
    LadyCash

Answer by LadyCash at 9:42 PM on Oct. 18, 2010