would you??

would you sleep upstairs while your kids slept downstairs? right now my 2 year old sleeps in our finished attic with his own bathroom by himself, and my husband and I sleep in one room downstairs and our 4 month old sleeps in her own room downstairs. we are thinking of moving upstairs and putting both kids downstairs. mainly because my son wont go into his room alone much, he would rather play downstairs. well the toys are taking over our living room, and putting his room downstairs, he could have his toys in there. i'm a little nervous to sleep upstairs with them alone downstairs. my husband is all for it, and has wanted to do it for a while. it will make the most sense (the upstairs is definitely a master bedroom). should i be nervous? what would you do?

sweetjpea

Asked by sweetjpea at 9:27 PM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Our room is downstairs, with the kids' upstairs. They have their own bathroom and we have a very good baby monitor. My oldest is 6, my dd is 4 and the baby is 2.5 The monitor is in his room which is adjacent to my dd's room.
    luv.my.kids.365

Answer by luv.my.kids.365 at 9:31 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• i would do it.....it's not different than how it is now. you sleep on a different floor than the 2yo now anyway, and i'm assuming you have a baby monitor for the baby. if you are worried about the 2yo you could put a gate on his door for a while (i use the one that swings open and close like a door) or you could put a baby monitor in his room too.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:32 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• It's all about knowing your kids. You actually can if you have a monitor in your room so you can hear them in case they wake up than maybe that would work. Also is there danger of them falling down stairs in case they wake up and want to come and look for you? You have to take everything in consideration knowing how your kids react. As far the 4 month old... maybe she's a bit too young to be that far. Than again if she sleeps all night and you have a monitor than maybe that would work... Whatever you do make sure your kids are safe.
    ddsladyx

Answer by ddsladyx at 9:33 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I would think it would be fine, but whatever is comfortable for you.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 9:33 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• i think it would be a good idea. I would get a baby monitor if you don't already have one and install a few locks or cheap alarm systems(like the ones that beep when their connections is broken) to put on the windows, and a good lock on the door. It seems it would work much better during the day for you.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 9:35 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• yea the 4 month old sleeps all night or i probably wouldn't even think about it yet, i have bad knees and would hate to walk up and down the stairs every 2 hours, ugh! haha. and we have baby monitors, so that will work. my main concern is just afraid if somebody were to break in and the kids are right there and i cant protect them. but my husband made a good point that if something like that was going to happen it would happen whether we were sleeping by the door or not. but of course im a worry wart and always will be. i probably wont sleep tonight since tomorrow is the day we were planning on doing the move. ugh!
    sweetjpea

Comment by sweetjpea (original poster) at 9:37 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Is this a De ja vo? Or have you asked this one before? Seems I remember you asking. You said you were planning to do it the next day. If you're still asking, that tells me you haven't done it yet. Which also sounds like you don't want to either. Am I right? If I am, here are some ideas for you. First, with your knees being so bad, the last thing you you want is to be going up and down any stairs. The pain means either you have inflamation or your bones are rubbing together. Either way, you need to add to the injury. As far as toys with your son...What if you used an old sheet or blanket to put their toys on. Then if company came, you can just grab the four corners and toss it in to the babies room until they leave? Or get a big hamper or box to keep the toys in. Then show him how to take one toy out at a time to play with. When he's done put it back b4 getting another. Use a reward system. Hope this helps.
    Prayerpartner

Answer by Prayerpartner at 8:59 AM on Nov. 1, 2010