Friends have asked me prepare the food for their wedding reception, any ideas?

They are a precious older couple and don't have much money. Date yet to be set, probably in Feb. Not sure of time either but want to start putting some menus together so they can have some choices. Time of day also determines the menu, so here are some of my ideas:
Pulled pork sandwiches, sweet and sour meatballs, BBQ beans, broccoli salad, deviled eggs, marinated vegetable salad, potato salad, relish tray.
Send me any ideas, Thanks

Librarylady60

Asked by Librarylady60 at 9:28 PM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Food & Drink

• What you have sounds nice, but all very time consuming, lots of different things to make, lots of prepwork cutting, and lots of cleanup involved for all the different preparation bowls, spoon, cutting boards, etc... . If it were me, I would do a pasta dinner. A couple large pans of baked zita, a couple pans of pasta with alfredo sauce, a large salad, and garlic bread. Undercook the pasta and assemble the day before, make the salad the morning of, put the pans of pasta in an hour before eating time, bake for 40 minutes, pull them out, and put the garlic bread in. The pasta will still be hot when the bread is done, and you will not have spent 3 whole days in the kitchen.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 9:36 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• My mom did a homemade mac and cheese for my sister's wedding and it was very popular.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:46 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• get a pig from a local farmer and rent a smoker...have that and potato and pasta salad
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 10:44 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Go to your local meat shop and order something that can be precooked and reheated. We spent about 500.00 for ours (it was marinaded tumbled beef medallions) and they only took about 5 minutes each on the grill and were soooooo good. (and we had to buy 95 pounds so even cheaper on a smaller scale)
    My Mom had the same thing for her wedding a few years ago and just put them in the oven on low at the beginning of the ceremony and they were ready by the time it was over. :) She had like 5 ovens to use though....
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 10:19 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Do you have an idea of what kind of guests they have - will there be kids, any vegetarians, do they know about any other restrictions (like for our family gatherings there are enough diabetics we try to have a few items that we can steer them towards that we know are safe)? Some ideas in general that are easy to make ahead: lasagna (can be meatless), taco salad, baked mac n cheese, broccoli and carrot casserole (pm me if you are interested in that one, I have the recipe lying around somewhere), spinach or bacon quiche.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:30 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Great ideas, hope to get more solid info soon.
    Librarylady60

Comment by Librarylady60 (original poster) at 8:57 AM on Oct. 19, 2010