What would you do if you found gay personal websites bookmarked on your childs computer?

I was on my sons computer..he is 15. I found two websites where he has proflies on there. They are for gay personal ads. He has an ad and has been emailing people on there and has sent out pictures of himself. The email he is giving people to contact him has his first and last name in it. Just what would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:56 PM on Oct. 28, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• HAVE A SERIUS TALK WITH HIM ABOUT HOW DANGEROUS IT IS.

myboogiewoogie

Answer by myboogiewoogie at 2:58 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• talk to him and tell him what you found and see what he says. he can get access to a comp just about anywhere so taking the comp away wont do much good. if he believes he is gay there isnt much you can do but love him and accept him for who he is. I suggest talking to him first.
    bubblebean

Answer by bubblebean at 3:00 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Ditto above. I would let him know that I found this and that I wanted to have both a frank talk about his sexuality and internet safety, and that I had no problem with him being gay but do have a huge problem with meeting strangers and giving out personal info on the internet.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:00 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Have a talk about the dangers of too much information on the web...but I think you are also asking about the gay part as well. As that goes, you cannot change his feelings. The best thing to do is to LOVE and SUPPORT him through it all. If he is truly gay, he will need you more than anyone else in his life to be there for him.
    Emmy_Dollface

Answer by Emmy_Dollface at 3:01 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I just wanted to say that him putting his information out there is dangerous and needs attention no matter what site he put it on. My 13 y/o daughter wants a MySpace page so bad she can taste it, but my kids will never use the internet unsupervised, and sites like MySpace are just asking for trouble, in my opinion.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 3:01 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Have a serious talk with him about how dangerous giving his information out on the internet is, as far as what sites, remember that he is 15 and at that age he is curious about his sexuality, teens experiment with everything, doesn't mean he is gay (even though for me it wouldn't be an issue either way). I would stress the danger of him giving out his info though, that is not something to be taken lightly.
    Izzyscrazymom

Answer by Izzyscrazymom at 3:07 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• talk to him about it... if you didnt know that he was gay or bi you do now.. but let him know that you still love him..... be very serious about the dangers of sending out information though..... if you have to put a parental block on his comp
    hunilemonrose

Answer by hunilemonrose at 4:01 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• If he hasn't told you he's gay/thinks he is, then I would just be totally honest and tell him you were snooping or using his computer to do X and you found this. I would just tell him that I am concerned for your safety when you are giving out this personal info, and I am concerned that you are trying to figure out your orientation in a potentially dangerous way. I'd explain that while I have no problem with him being gay (assuming you don't), I want him to be safe. I'd tell him he could talk to me about it, that I would help him find some legitimate websites that would give him support and guidance, but that I don't approve of the personals.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 4:24 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I would talk to him and tell him it's not safe to put out his personal information on the interenet. I wouldn't mention the gay thing. It really shouldn't be an issue.
    raybell

Answer by raybell at 9:01 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I would also explain to him about the dangers of giving out too much info. on the computer. As far as the websites being gay websites, is there a possibility that he is gay? Maybe he is thinking he is and is just testing the waters. At his age, sometimes it's just better to have a long talk, supporting whatever decision he is making for himself. My stepson is 15 and told me and only me that he is gay. I think it's an akward age sexually anyways, but then to be gay!! He's terrified that someone will find out and that he'll be picked on for it.
    Anonymous