Which answer are you more likely to give?

My kids are spending some time with my parents. My mom said earlier today they were walking past a tree that was covered in thorns. My son (6 years old) said that the tree couldn't go to heaven because it has thorns and was a mean tree. My mom countered by asking who made the tree, to which my son replied God, but the tree is still evil for having thorns, and so could not go to heaven. My mom concluded by saying it's an ugly tree anyways.

Now, I am an atheist, I'm not raising my boys to be atheist (as you can obviously tell my son chooses to believe in god and heaven). I don't really mind my Catholic mother talking about god with my children, in fact I love that they are being exposed to new ideas. However, if I had been having that discussion with my son, I would have explained to him that the thorns are there to protect the tree, so it can grow and blossom, and you shouldn't judge things based on their appearance alone.

my2.5boys

Asked by my2.5boys at 9:48 PM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I support your reasoning behind the thorns :)
    MelSwim7

Answer by MelSwim7 at 9:51 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• i would have said basically the same as you, and tell him that only god decides who goes to heaven.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:52 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I like your answer better. God designed his creation with some pretty nifty defense mechanisms.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 9:54 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I would have went with something along the lines of what you said
    sheloveearth

Answer by sheloveearth at 9:56 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• i woulda gone the same direction you were going. the tree was made that way, and thats they way its suppose to be. and that thorns dont equal evil...look at a rose, its beautiful and it has thorns. are they evil?
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:06 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I like your answer!
    MamaJasmine

Answer by MamaJasmine at 10:17 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I like your answer better too. Explaining things usually works better, I think. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:18 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I would have explained the same way... beauty is in the eye of the beholder and only the divine can judge.
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 11:12 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I like what you said as well... natural adaptations are there for a reason, not just for the sake of 'meanness.' Whether the tree was designed by God or nature, presumeably those thorns are an advantage to the plant!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:30 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• good point.
    RidingPink

Answer by RidingPink at 11:48 PM on Oct. 18, 2010