at home treatments for ear infections?

for a nine month old. anything?

mhaney03

Asked by mhaney03 at 9:51 PM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Warm rag... careful to not get it too hot... and a doctor's appointment tomorrow.

Ear infections are not to be trifled with. My brother went deaf from one that wasn't immediately treated. :/
    Gremlyn1980

Answer by Gremlyn1980 at 9:54 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• no doc appointment tomorrow and that's out of my control.

i've heard putting a drop of gen violet in the ear but not sure i want to try that.. my mom said they used to keep the bottle of it over the pilot light on the stove to keep it warm for that purpose.
    mhaney03

Comment by mhaney03 (original poster) at 9:56 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• some peroxide on a q-tip works ok, but antibiotics are the best way. o and tylenol to keep the fever down
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:06 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Sorry but there is urgent care and the ER if it's not possible. I'm with the first poster. I have scarring in my right ear drum from infection. It's sucky at times. Ear infections and babies are not to be taken lightly. Be careful with peroxide, my doctor told me it can make infection travel.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:09 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• castrol oil w cotton ball. i used peroxide just a capfull
    JaydnsMom22

Answer by JaydnsMom22 at 10:34 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• NO I mean it is NOT POSSIBLE i have no vehicle or money and urgent care doesn't take medicaid anyway. Yes, I am a terrible mother. Thank you and goodnight.
    mhaney03

Comment by mhaney03 (original poster) at 10:58 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Woah, calm down. No one called you a horrible mom. I'm just saying, it can affect them the rest of their lives. No one was mean or rude to you. I didn't have insurance and I took my son to the ER for this. Thank God I did, any later and he would have had the tubes put in. Anything is possible if it's what you need to do, trust me, I know.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:05 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Peroxide or garlic oil in the ear. You can mash up a fresh clove of garlic with olive oil and put that in the ear. Put a cotton ball over it.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:46 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Garlic oil for the time being. Sautee garlic in olive oil, strain the garlic out, and let the oil cool until warm, not hot. Put a few drops of the oil in ear. Breast milk in ear works also if you have any available. And get to the doctor as soon as you can.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:08 AM on Oct. 19, 2010