Does your church/synagogue/ect...

Offer premarital counseling?
Should it?

Would it have helped you in your marriage decision?

LadyCash

Asked by LadyCash at 10:24 PM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Our Mosque would like to but it cannot afford a full time paid staff so people volunteer when they can and not all of the volunteers are qualified to offer such counseling. When it grows a little more they hope to add that as one of its many programs and services. I used to offer it to interfaith couples (mostly within the coven I belonged to but also to anyone who was referred to me) before I converted to Islam.
    -Cassandra-

Answer by -Cassandra- at 2:29 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Yes. And yes, I think they should have premarital counseling.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 10:31 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• yes, it was manditory. it didn't tell us anything we didn't already know lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:26 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Yes, the rabbi who married us requires it but suggested that we go to a regular counselor instead. I wish he had seen us though because the regular counselor too time in most of our sessions just getting to know us and "wow, you have kids already" kinda thing. Wasting time on our dime.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 10:48 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Yes, it does. It's mandatory to go through classes/counseling.
    siimply_me

Answer by siimply_me at 10:52 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• i dunno, my uncle married us and he knew us well enough to know we didnt need it. the first church we wanted to get married in required it so we went somewhere else...it would have been a waste of time and money cause DH and i have degrees in psychology (him) and family studies (me) and marriage therapy was a lot of that...we would have been bored to tears in premarital counseling.

okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:16 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I'm not Christian, my DH is, so even if he had a church, I don't think most of them offer any kind of counseling without both parties being of the same faith. But even had they, neither of us would ever have gone, if we needed counseling, we wouldn't have been getting married...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:50 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• We don't go to the church anymore, but my in laws church had it, it was really unnecessary, waste of time. I think they should invest in a better program.

Amoraeterna

Answer by Amoraeterna at 2:59 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• They require it. I think it can help.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:23 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I think our preacher does. I know he's done marriage counseling. I think it can help, but with us I'm not sure it would have made a difference.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:13 AM on Oct. 19, 2010