my 14 month old daughter is teething really bad.....so bad that she is extremly agressive and hitting and throwing fits.....i have tried everything i know how to do .....does anybody else have any ideas as to what to do .....i have had 3 hours of sleep in the last 7 days...please help thanks

she doesnt like teething rings or ice nor does she like the numbing gel.....

proudmama2be88

Asked by proudmama2be88 at 10:28 PM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• when my son was teething really bad he became really impossible. It turned out he had double ear infections from the extra saliva produced while teething. One he had antibiotics all was calm again. Maybe a trip to the dr tomorrow might help?
    CJM_SHM

Answer by CJM_SHM at 10:30 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• thanks i think i might just do that thanks
    proudmama2be88

Comment by proudmama2be88 (original poster) at 10:33 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I'm guessing there is much more to the behavioral issues than just teething. I can see a child being uncomfortable but not acting out that bad. It probably has more due to the fact that a child that age has limited verbal capabilities and that is where and when you see them act out so strongly. It is more frustration because their little minds go quicker than what their verbal capabilities are. Talk your child through the situation. Say I can see you are really angry or frustrated, I want to help you but throwing this fit (or whatever they are doing), isn't helping. Can you show me what you need or tell me how I can help you? Tell them how to act and what is expected. Be very consistent. Don't blame aggression on teething, that might be making your child uncomfortable but there is more than meets the eye here. This also the age when biting is very common for the same reasons, their limited verbal skills.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 10:35 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• it only happens at night and she is always holding her mouth and her face...i talk to her all day everyday she hits because she doesnt want me to touch her face almost like she panics or something
    proudmama2be88

Comment by proudmama2be88 (original poster) at 10:39 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Do you know about Hylands Teething Tablets? They are very soothing & calming and take the pain away without side effects because they are Homeopathic. I never wanted to ever run out of them when my children were babies-they really work. You might try the little chewable baby aspirin when she is really in pain and can't sleep. There is also the clove oil based Numzit that you can paint on their gums, and the teething rings you keep in the fridge help too.
    drsally

Answer by drsally at 10:46 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• thanks i will try those
    proudmama2be88

Comment by proudmama2be88 (original poster) at 11:16 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• My question is: Has anyone else cared for her? I mean, for her to know she can slap you or anyone? When she doesn't want you to touch her face, is it because she's in pain? For sleep, I'd see a professional. It is frustrating wihen you can't help make things better. Our children sense our frustrations. Maybe once you've explained to the Dr. what you've shared here, they might have dealt with it before in other children and have some suggestions or medication to help her heal and you finely get the much needed rest you need. It does neither of you any good if you're in bad shape and exosted! Hope this helps you both get better!
    Prayerpartner

Answer by Prayerpartner at 2:22 AM on Oct. 19, 2010