is it hard for you to be a mom and in school or college and how do you make it work?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:45 PM on Oct. 18, 2010 in

• Yes it is hard. I'm a single mom in college and I work. I have an awesome family who is always there to help me though. I go to school from 8:30 to 2:15 which is when my little one is in school then I pick him up and have a few hours with him then I usually go to work as a bartender. I also have a phenominal boss who gives me time off to spend with my son.
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 10:55 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• yeah I'm almost done with my AA at the community college and have two more years left for an interpretor training program starting next year. it is HARD but what in life isnt? its so worth it... trying to raise my two boys on a minimum wage job would be harder!!!
    i have a great family that watches them while im in class (i'm in the process of trying to get daycare though)
    its hard but WORTH IT.
    if you have specific questions feel free to PM me :)
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 11:03 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Definately difficult, I can do it now because of my husband. i have a soon to be 3 yr old boy and am taking a full course load, last spring i was taking 18 credits plus 2 hrs a week student law enforecement academy....i would have spent a fortune on child care and do not know how my single parent friends do it.

When I had my son(before I met my hubby) half way through my semesters and then went back to school after 2 weeks, my mother was there thank god (bio dad is an a** long story lol).

I do not work right now or I would be stressing.... I schedule my classes so that they work favorily with a day care schedule and routine for my son...right now I have class from 8am to 12:30 twice a week.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 11:04 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• ps i am in my senior year for my bachelors in Sociology with options in criminology and Inequality and Social justice as well as a certificate in forensic science, and am applying to graduate school, at that time my son will be old enough for preschool, thankfully.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 11:05 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I work a full time job while doing school full time with a 2yr old. As well as my husband is deployed. Its not easy I had to create a schedule for every day and commit myself to logging onto my class EVERY single night even if it is only for a few minutes to just do some quick reading. I also have a very supportive mom who helps me wrangle the monster and helps me with homework when I get stuck. My days are very busy. But worth it
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 11:14 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• At times it was hard. When my daughter was an infant it was the easiest. I could sit her in the carrier and read to her and she was fine. When I transferred from community college and she got older was when it became hard. I could do more with her and I wanted to, but I had to be responsible. The hardest was when I was doing my Capstone. I had to dedicate so much time to it, but in the end it's been worth it. I am in the process of applying to grad school now.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 8:34 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Yes. I work during the day as a high school social studies teacher, grad school in the evenings getting my Master's in history. It is hard. But my loving husband is always there and so awesome. I am also helping my son get ready for kindergarten next year by making sure he knows everything he needs to knows. His preschool is awesome and helps out but I also like teaching him things. :)
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 11:47 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• It's very tough. You don't get to see your family a lot, but in the end, it's worth it. In late 2008, I started working full-time AND school full-time. I only ever saw my daughter on Tuesdays, Saturdays, and Sundays. It SUCKED. After the first three weeks, I went to check on her in her room (I always got home from work after 10:30pm) and one night she was still awake (kinda). She held out her arms for me, I picked her up, and sat on the floor and cried because I missed her so much (she was 2 at the time). I sat there for a very long time; she'd gone back to sleep by the time I put her back to bed. It gets easier to deal with, but it's always tough.. if that even makes sense.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 11:31 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

Next question in
would you?

Next question overall (About CafeMom)
How can i advertise on my profile