Doctor won't help me TTC until I lose 60 pounds. Should I just find another one?

I went to the OBGYN for my annual well woman check up. While I was there I told the doctor that we were wanting to TTC again sometime in the next few months but that my son was still breastfeeding (16 months old) and that my period hadn't returned. I asked him if there was anything he could give me to get things going.

He said that there was medication that he could give me but he wouldn't give it to me until I lost 60 pounds. I explained to him that I have already lost 34 pounds, the I am still losing weight and would continued losing weight until I got pregnant.

This is a new doctor so I explained that the doctor always had me maintain weight until 30 weeks and then gain 10 pounds between 30 and 40 weeks, that I've always had healthy pregnancies and no complications.

He still refused to help me and told me to come back when I've lost 60 pounds.

Should I just look for another doctor or what?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:51 PM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• Depends on how much you weigh. 300lbs... lose the weight. 180 lbs...find a new doc.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:55 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Hmm, that's hard. I'm personally trying to lose weight before ttc again so I would agree with doctor. BUT since you've had healthy pregnancies in the past AND you shouldn't be trying to lose weight while breastfeeding, I'll say get a new one.
    Anonymous

• That depends. If you are seriously overweight (and I really mean no offense, so I'm sorry if I do/did offend you), you probably should lose more weight before getting pregnant, to ensure the healthiest possible pregnancy for you and for your baby. If you're only mildly overweight, and could reach a healthy weight with losing less than 60lb, then definitely seek a new doctor. That's just my view of the situation, though.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 10:58 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I agree it depends on how much you weigh weather he has a legitamate arguement or he is just an ass. You can always get another opinion, but i wouldn't shop around forever for a doc that would ok it if 2 have said no(I don't think you would actually do this). The fact that you have had all healthy pregnancies without complications should also be worth something when weighing the options
    .

good luck
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 10:58 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• That's actually common. The fertility meds aren't as effective if you are overweight. I know three other people who were told the same thing. If you lose the weight you won't need the meds anyway, you are majorly fertile after weight loss! Good luck!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:00 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• You are most fertile when your body is at a healthy weight.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 11:03 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I would tend to agree with the doctor and musicmom. I know fertility meds aren't as effective if you're overweight and being overweight can cause a lot of issues with fertility. I would ask a little more of the dr's reasoning for wanting you to lose weight before I ditched him.
    Skipo510

Answer by Skipo510 at 11:06 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Maybe he is trying to forgo the meds. Because if you lose the weight, you won't need them. Not to mention it's not really safe to be overweight and pregnant.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:11 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Find a new doctor.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:13 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• why don't you wait until your baby weans himself, then lose your weight and see what happens?
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:29 PM on Oct. 18, 2010