Does anyone know a group for Fragile X parents and kids in GA?

My nephew was diagnosed with Fragile X Syndrome. He is turning 3 months in 3 days, and I am trying to help his parents deal with it and see the light at the end of the tunnel. Looking for a support group in Marietta, Woodstock or Canton area. Roswell or even Atlanta will work too. Needs to be something positive. Thank you in advance.

Anuta816

Asked by Anuta816 at 10:58 PM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I'm in Alpharetta (near all those areas) but don't have a baby w/the condition. I do have a 4 month old though so if they would like support in that aspect, you can PM me.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 11:01 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Thank you for your great offer. I will pass it on to her.
    Anuta816

Comment by Anuta816 (original poster) at 11:05 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• gl
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 1:54 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Try this site it may give you info on what you need.

http://www.atlantaparent.com/justkids/justkids_resource/resource-guide.html#mental

I work in Ellijay just north of all the places you listed.

Good luck and God bless.

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 2:03 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• no here's a bump
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 7:01 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• How do you get tested for fragile x? I believe my 3 oldest have it.
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 9:07 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• To connect with other parents in possibly your or near your location I recommend joining the Fragile X Listserv sponsored by FRAXA Research Foundation hosted by Emory University in GA.

Details to join are available at: http://www.fraxa.org/getInvolved_listserv.aspx

Testing - Must be the DNA Test (FMR1 DNA test aka Southern Blot w/PCR Analysis) or determine if they can use the new test developed by Quest Diagnositic, which only requires a drop of blood.

Emory also has a research study on POF in which women can be screened through participation to determine if they are carriers, if you connect with me I can provide contact details on the study.

Good luck and hugs! Sally
    Sally_Nada

Answer by Sally_Nada at 2:00 PM on Oct. 25, 2010