1 year old hitting

how do i get him to stop hitting me, and his twin?
sooo hard to deal with at the end of the night when we're all tired and my patience is short

ElsaSalsaaa

Asked by ElsaSalsaaa at 10:58 PM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• At first sign of it........if you are playing or holding him him, immediately put him down or walk and ignore him. Do not give him any attention, positive or negative. It only encourages the behavior. At that age they just want your attention more than anything (most toddlers anyway). If you refuse to give him attention when he is not acting respectfully, and continue to do so every time most lkely the behavior will wane or stop all together. Has worked for me.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 11:03 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• walk away
    truthteller0722

• thanks!
    ElsaSalsaaa

Comment by ElsaSalsaaa (original poster) at 11:05 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• u r welcome I hope it helps, It helped me! Just be consistent, tell any caregivers to do the same if you are not around and he begins to act this way.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 11:08 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Look him in the eyes, take his hand, say no hitting, be gentle. Then show him how to be gentle. If he is doing it to get attention and you are holding him. Put him down. Say you are hurting mommy, I won't hold you until you can be nice. Some good books about aggressive behavior (no hitting, no biting) might be good to start reading also. http://www.cjkidz.com/parentsgrandparentsteachers.html (see section Anger/Acting Out)

momjs

Answer by momjs at 11:18 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I have twin girls 15 months old. When they look like they are going to hit each other, I say "no" really loud and firmly. They usually stop and look at me. When they stop, I then tell them "good job" and kiss them. The praise follows not hitting and obeying me. I think that praising goo behavior is important at this age. This has worked for me and although my twins sometimes do try to hit each other, it is not as often. Also I don't hit them ever.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 7:42 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• @BJANE01 yeah I do the same but tyler just smiles and hits its hard because it feels like hes trying to make me angry on purpose but i have to remember hes just a baby and doesnt know waht hes doing. but yeah youre right praising them is important, i've been doig a lot of that lately. and yeah i would never hit my children either.
    ElsaSalsaaa

Comment by ElsaSalsaaa (original poster) at 1:16 AM on Oct. 20, 2010