Shocked and stunned at the new labor and delivery department at the local hospital.

I bled yesterday. My doc wanted me to be checked out so he sent me up to L&D. I was a little excited because I knew that it was newly remodeled and just reopened. It was supposed to be beautiful.
It looked beautiful and had nice amenities but when I laid in the bed I was shocked. I am a nurse, I have seen my fair share of hospital beds. This was by far the worst. It felt as though I was laying on cardboard. When the nurse came in I said. "This is just the delivery bed, right?" She said this would be the bed you stay in for your entire stay & that they are terrible and she believes that the hospital chose them to be so uncomfortable so they can keep the turnover high. Mommies won't want to stay there after giving birth but the new look of the L&D will lure them in.
What do you think of this?

girlneffy

Asked by girlneffy at 3:13 PM on Oct. 28, 2008 in Pregnancy

• It sounds right in time with modern medical practices. The catch and release program. I would be appalled as well but I'm one of those women that is out of hte hospital as soon as me and the baby are clear. Within 24 hours if I can swing it.
    tat2edmommyof2

Answer by tat2edmommyof2 at 3:20 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• that sounds awful. ur supposed to be able to get rest after giving birth, not be pushed out the door
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 3:17 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• that's really sad they feel that way!.....makes you wonder what kind of care are you and your baby getting?!....i'd sure want to know i was paying for more than just "fluff"!!!!
    bigblueeyes

Answer by bigblueeyes at 3:26 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I think it is incredibly unprofessional for her to say that to you. I also think that probably the beds were chosen by some random bigshot who picked them based on cost and functions, and didn't think about comfort.
    Anonymous

• I think thats horrible, but not unbeleiveable. Most people in the healthcare field who decide that probably have never given birth and dont understand what we go through! a**holes lol anyways i would definatley take like a really padded sleeping bag or something to lay on top of if it is that uncomfortable.. they dont tell you what you can/cant bring so why not!
    OliviasMommy614

Answer by OliviasMommy614 at 3:39 PM on Oct. 28, 2008