At what point would you start asking for gas money?

My husband picks up a co-worker 2-3 days a week and drives him to and from work. His house is about a mile away from our house in the opposite direction from work. So it is between 8-12 miles a week.

I guess I don't know why he hasn't offered by this point. They make the same salary but this guy is single and my husband is the sole breadwinner for our family of five.

SleepingBeautee

Asked by SleepingBeautee at 11:14 PM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Money & Work

• I don't agree asking for money the first ride. Sometimes the 1st (even 2nd) ride could potentially be the ONLY ride and it would be rude to ask for money IF you're giving a friend a ride once or twice. However, now that it is pretty much established, your dh giving his coworker a ride on a regular basis, and given he has to go the opposite direction (!) now is the perfect time to ask for gas money. It makes sense and in this economy his friend should understand. Have your DH ask politely but firmly for his coworker to chip in. If your dh doesn't want to be direct, he could say somethin like, "I would like to pick you up but we really don't have the gas..." and leave it open. If the coworker offers to chip in, cool. If the coworker does NOT offer, your dh then has an "out" of the situation. Good luck... my DH gets stuck in this position ALLL the time.. so this is how he does it, lol. :)
    2rays0fsun

Answer by 2rays0fsun at 8:24 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I think that should have beed discussed before or during the first ride. The longer he waits it may get harder and harder to ask.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 11:35 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• My DH takes our neighbor to work 5 days a week and goes about 10 miles out of his way to bring this guy back and forth every day. Our neighbor keeps his car full all the time so we never have to pay for gas. I would not bring him if he isn't providing at least half of the gas.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 11:42 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• He should suggest now. Ask for a few bucks. I would just let him know it would be great if you would chip in for some gas weekly...

If he don't want too tell him to take a cab or bus... :( Whats cheaper??? and quicker???

He has a right to ask and should not be embarrassed to ask either. One hand washes the other...
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 11:22 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I would have asked long time ago, seeing as it's habit and your husband is now his taxi driver.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:22 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• He needs to explain to the guy that his house is outta the way and it would be considerate of him to help out. DHs co-workers gave him 20 bucks a week for rides and they were all living within 1-3 miles of our house...but one of them started calling for rides ALL the time and i had to nip that in the bud....it got WAYYY ridiculous!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 9:03 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I agree with the other ladies, now is the time to ask. Or he could ask if they could trade off who drives. I understand that he is single and you guys have a family, but he might have other expenses that you guys don't. If he's struggling, I wouldn't feel too bad going a mile out of the way to pick him up a few times a week.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 1:05 AM on Oct. 20, 2010