What will I need the first night after a c section?

lovebunny82709

Asked by lovebunny82709 at 11:27 PM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Pregnancy

• You will have to stay in the hospital for a few days and they will take care of all your bandaging and everything. Make sure that you move around (roll over from side to side, sit up, lay down, move your legs) and that you do coughing exercises (which will hurt, but you have to do them to keep your lungs clear). When you are able to walk finally, take advantage. The sooner you get to moving around, the faster you feel better! Good luck! And don't forget to get plenty of rest when you can.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 11:30 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• The hospital should provide everything you will need.
    kbakeman

Answer by kbakeman at 11:31 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• lol pain meds will b needed lol but yes the other ladies are correct the sooner u start walking the sooner u will heal.my c sections took about 2 weeks to heal n b pain free cus i forced my self to walk as soon as they said i could try good luck mommy
    sandi_361

Answer by sandi_361 at 11:34 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• well if you are having the baby in the morning and everything goes well, they will have you walking by that afternoon. i found it easier to just keep the hospital robes on, but you can bring your own robe. you're going to need a pillow to hold and press onto your stomach so when you go to get up out of the bed it doesn't hurt as bad, also for when you laugh, cry, cough, ect. you've no idea how much you use your ab muscles until you have a c-section. makes me wonder how the heck i'm not a stick and in fit...as much as i chase the kids and do chores lol. you'll be on a liquid diet, so don't worry about food, you MIGHT be able to take a shower, they may make you wait until the next day, depending on when they take the dressing off. make sure you have an adult with you when you have the baby in the room, just in case. you can't just up and run to her if she starts crying or spits up. i also agree with the pp
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:36 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• yes, walk as soon as they let you, BUT take it easy! don't try and do 300 laps around the hall because you want to heal really fast. this could cause an infection. If you feel weaker than normal, not up to do anything, if you feel anything wrong with you, talk to the doctor, you may need a blood transfusion...that's just a thought, you may not need it, i don't think most do. sometimes doctors can miss this. mine did, even after i sat there and told them i needed one a million times. (i knew i would need one from having my ds. they told me i'd need one if i had another c/s. i had him at a different hospital though, a much better one :)
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:41 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I agree with everyone else and if ur going to be left alone in the room before you can get up and walk make sure you have everything with in arms reach (especially the call button) oh and if you're husbands a sound sleeper like mine something to chuck at him when the baby cries. Lol!
    randibosin

Answer by randibosin at 11:41 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• serious pain killers
    vida1970

Answer by vida1970 at 11:42 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• rest! try not to od yourself on your morphine pump. LOL! do your incentive spirometry if your hospital gave you one. very important!
    gwenypooh

Answer by gwenypooh at 11:46 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I was never on a liquid diet. I had an epidural and Im not sure if that changes what you can eat post op.
    kbakeman

Answer by kbakeman at 11:46 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• The hospital will have everything you need. Basically just meds and rest and support.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:49 PM on Oct. 18, 2010