need advice on breastfeeding adult content

i only want to breastfeed my dd for a week or two and do formula the rest of the time.. when does the milk go away! my breasts are very full and they hurt.. i tired a hot shower but it didnt really do much.. am afraid that if i continue with my plan to breastfeed once or twice a day is gonna make them fuller or make them hurt more..
any advice!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:31 PM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Actually continuing to feed a couple of times a day and slowly weaning her off the breast is best for your breast. If you just stop cold turkey it is going to be extremely painful.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:33 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• There is a lot of adjusting at the beginning. I don't think it's a good time to try to cut back on the nursing, it's going to be very painful right now. I would nurse a little longer than 2 weeks to let your breasts adjust comfortably.
    kbakeman

Answer by kbakeman at 11:34 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Ouch, pump those girls! Or feed more often, but SleepingBeautee is right, weaning is best.
    donnareedonLSD

Answer by donnareedonLSD at 11:35 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• It will take a few days for your breasts to slow down production, but it will happen. Just hang in there. I agree with SleepingBeautee, also. The milk will slow to accomidate what your baby is using, so it will be best if you do it slowly. Good luck. :)
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 11:36 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Your dr should be able to give you a shot to help shut down the milk factory. In the mean time breast feeding a little each day can help relieve some of the pressure and shouldn't make you produce more than you already are. If you don't want to try feeding though some damp cool cloths or chilled lettuce leaves (rinse the lettuce then put in the crisper to keep cool & damp until ready to use, cut out a hole for nipple and let the leaves rest on top bottom and sides of your breasts) on your breasts can help reduce the swelling and relieve some of the pain. For really serious pain try some tylonol or ibprofin in conjunction w/ a cool cloth/lettuce.
    Skipo510

Answer by Skipo510 at 11:38 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Can I ask why you plan to stop at 2 weeks? The slower you wean, the better, but breast is best, ultimately.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:42 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I'm also respectfully interested in why only 2 weeks? Not judging.. just genuinely curious.
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 11:49 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• a nurse told me that cold cabbage or lettuce in your bra helps also! weird but it works, i wasnt able to breast feed since my daughter needed special formula
    VERONICAS_MOM

Answer by VERONICAS_MOM at 12:41 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Pump just enough to relieve the pressure, but as sleepingbeautee said, slowly weaning is best. Dropping one feeding a week until you are only on bottles is usually the recommended way to go. I am also curious why you want to stop at 2 weeks? Whichever method you feed your child is your choice, I'm just curious.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:47 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• The less you feed, the more it should go away. You could try ice packs in a sports bra at night, I know, sounds fun. I stopped breast feeding 5 months ago and I still have milk though, but it doesn't leak too often.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 7:49 AM on Oct. 19, 2010