Should there be laws on breeding dogs?

Should a dog be allowed to have litter after litter when they are under one year of age?
Should people be allowed to make profit off of having one dog have litter after litter even though they aren't considered a puppy mill?
Should only licensed breeders be allowed to do these things?
Should you have to fix your dog in order to own it unless you are a licensed breeder?

Just some thoughts. Not biased on way or another. Just interested.

Musicmom80

Asked by Musicmom80 at 11:45 PM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Pets

• No
    No
    No
    No
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 11:49 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• No.A bitch should not be bred until at least her 2nd heat and sometimes even wait until her 3rd.

I have yet to actually make a profit with any of the litters born at our house.The girls are only bred once a year and only if they are healthy and under 7 years of age.

No,I don't think a license for breeding is necessary.It would just be more money for your county etc.

If you don't plan on showing or breeding you would be wise to have your female spayed.

Tikismom

Answer by Tikismom at 12:05 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Honestly, i think there should be a law against Breeding- It Blows my mind how many animals are put down every single day b/c we are So Over Populated; but Worse than that- There are So Many Irresponsible Owners out there that don't even give it a Thought about dropping their pet off at the Shelter when they don't want to deal with them anymore:(

daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 1:12 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I just got my chorkie puppy for free to find out where he came from and am totally disgusted. Moms a chi, daddy is a yorkie. Mom is barely a year old. She had two litters and they sold them for a lot of $$$. Then the third litter didn't sell so they gave them away or they were just going to get dumped off!! Because mom was preg again!!! Grrrr. I wish there was a law against this. It's so wrong. Eddie is lucky he's with me, or he'd be at the shelter or in a box on the side of the road.
    My friend took the sister pup. She made me aware of where they came from. She picked him up for me. They had no shots, no vet check nothing!!! He's our baby guy now! I hope he is healthy even though he has suffered poor breeding! Vet said there is no way to know for sure.
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 1:20 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• No
    No
    Yes
    Yes
    Unsocialized

Answer by Unsocialized at 3:13 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• most dogs can only have one litter before the one yr age (not litter after litter as you put it) cause they only have one heat although you should never breed on the first heat. i think some breeding is ok as long as you don't over breed your bitch and do everything to ensure a healthy litter and mom. i don't think you make that much from breeding unless you have a crap load of dogs. i don't think a license makes a breeder any better then an unlicensed one. some are in it for the money and i would think it's the licensed breeders that charge more for their registered dogs and that so called license. i don't think anyone should be forced to spay or neuter their dog just cause they don't have a license. i think licensed breeders breed more then they care to admit and they feel that they should be the only ones to breed but to me thats seems like it's greed talking cause i feel they feel they would have less competition
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 2:39 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• as long as people keep buying puppies the dog breeding will never stop. these people will continue to breed cause you picked the puppy up and is now given them more room to bring in more litters. every breeder should make sure they find permanent homes for their pups. don't breed dogs that get turned in so much like pitbulls. they have over 90% of pits at our dog pound.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 2:43 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• How old was the chorkie ? If he was younger than the age allowed by law, then you can get this irresponsible person who should not be breeding. These are the kinds of breeders who give good show breeders a bad name ! I agree with Tikismom on every one of her points - if I ever make a profit on any of my litters, it'll be a miracle because I do everything over-the-top for my dogs and their occasional litters. I also screen my homes, and try to weed out those who I do not think would make good homes. Also, all my puppies leave on a spay/neuter contract (not because I don't want the competition - as someone had the gall to say to me one time, but because I do not want someone who has not researched the breed, researched the breeding animals available, know the genetics behind the breed, among many other things, to be irresponsibly breeding more dogs. The responsible breeders lose !!
    JustMyOpinion22

Answer by JustMyOpinion22 at 12:29 AM on Oct. 22, 2010