What is your best idea to live on a dime?

Walk or bike instead of driving?
Make/sew/grow your own anything?
Stopped using certain products?
Make your own lattes?
Stock up on sales?

you get the idea girls...

donnareedonLSD

Asked by donnareedonLSD at 12:20 AM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I make detailed grocery lists and menu plans. I save about 10% using coupons.
    I have my bank do all my bill payments for free. I know when our paydates are I have my check auto deposited then the next day I have bills come out. We do not use that account until all the bills are paid from it. Otherwise we live on cash and do without until we have more cash.
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 12:31 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I also make a detailed grocery list! My husband and I sit down every sunday and think of a meal plan for the week so we can make a grocery list so we dont just throw a bunch of stuff in the cart and avoid making multiple trips during the week for a dinner that night. Coupons also are a huge save too! Check out the ad's on sundays in the paper and see whats on sale. I usually get stuff that are buy 1 and get 1 free so I can have extra when that runs out. I also make my own laundry detergent which saves big time too! Also, I do splurge on my coffee addiction but I only go 3 times a week, it's my pick-me-up! =D
    staceybelly9

Answer by staceybelly9 at 1:16 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I know stocking up on sale items is a huge concept for saving money but I've found I've been able to lower my grocery bills by doing the opposite. I menu plan, make my list of ingredients, and buy only those for the week.

Stocking up on items means you're carrying inventory in your house; you've paid for something that you have yet to use/money spent but not yet benefitted from. In essense, your dollars are tied up in the items in your pantry. Carrying inventory is expensive; it's Accounting 101. By buying only what you need, you're not spending any more than is required for the week. Those items you find on sale will be on sale again in the future OR you'll more than make up for them by buying the other items from your list that will be on sale, or that you have coupons for. It's a foreign concept to most but it works wonderfully and saves me boatloads of $$$!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:02 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I never thought of it that way the storage thing im trying to eat more out of storage before buying more
    slyvester

Answer by slyvester at 2:47 PM on Oct. 20, 2010