How can I get my 5 year old to quit chewing on things?

She chews on EVERYTHING: toys, fabric, paper, I really mean everthing. She just keeps it in her mouth and chews on it-she doesn't swallow it, just chews.

tanyaka

Asked by tanyaka at 12:23 AM on Oct. 19, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Does she have any other issues? Sensory issues? Low tone? Autism spectrum? Reactive attachment disorder? All of those listed as well as a few others not listed can cause oral fixations. Could also be pica, from a nutional deficiancy.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 12:29 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• take her to the ped and ask about pica. They will definitely check her iron, but they may want to check a few other vitamin/mineral levels. Some people don't process or absorb certain minerals properly so they need above and beyond the normal recommended daily allowances. But you will need to find out what she is deficient in first. Good luck!
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 2:31 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• my daughter is 3 and does the same thing and she also pulls her hair out and chews on it, she is going to a specialist because alot of her dads neices and nephews have similar issues and have been diagnosed with adhd
    VERONICAS_MOM

Answer by VERONICAS_MOM at 12:32 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• So far she hasn't shone any other symptoms. And she doesn't pull her hair out. Thank you both for your answers. If it is pica how do I handle that?
    tanyaka

Comment by tanyaka (original poster) at 12:52 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• My son puts everything in his mouth too. I told him that ever time his puts something in his mouth to think about where it has been and that got him to stop a little.
    jshimmy

Answer by jshimmy at 9:57 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• My 10yo still bites her nails and constatantly is sticking things in her mouth. We tell her EVERYTIME we catch her so it has cut down some, but it is a habit that is hard to break. We explain how gross germs are and how she is putting them in her mouth and making herself sick. We met a guy that annouced with pride that he didn't wash his hands after going to the bathroom. She had stuck her hands in her mouth after sharing a game controller with him and turned green saying "I have a gross habit don't I".

Just keep correcting the behavior and hopefully she will grow out of it.
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 10:02 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• thanks everybody for the advice
    tanyaka

Comment by tanyaka (original poster) at 9:48 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• My son went through a clothes chewing stage at 5. It passed and he is fine.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:35 AM on Oct. 22, 2010