Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

custody question

my daughter who is married and has 2 children ages 7-11 has now seperated from her husband and has a new boyfriend she was evicted from her apartment so move in with me 2and a half months later we had word her and her boyfriend was kicked out not the kids she went and gave her mother in law temp. custody of the kids but the 11 yrold i pretty much raised and she does not belong to her husband was born before marrage this lady is not her grandmother i am can i do anything to get her back?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 12:35 AM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Relationships

Answers (5)
  • youwould have to get your daughter to turn custody over to you. i think thats the only way because not very many states believe in grandparents rights. but i hope that everything works out for you! i'll keep you in my prayers! keep me posted k?

    Answer by .Yours.Truly. at 12:43 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

  • Check with your local laws, because I think your daughter has to give you the custody rights. However, there may be a way to change her choice. I hope you figure something out...I'll pray it works out for you too.

    Answer by siimply_me at 12:48 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

  • A gardian ad leitem should be assigned to the custody case. The divorce decree will probably list this person. Contact him/her directly. A garden ad lietem is a person appointed by the court to advocate for the best interest of the child. The history of care you have with your granddaughter is compelling.

    Answer by ecodani at 1:24 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

  • You might be able to find some information on line in the mean time. try using the initials of your state with the ending: "". I live in Wisconsin, so mine is This gives all the documents you can file. One I am thinking of is for the protection of a child. I also encourage you to contact the gardian ad litem. They should be able to help a great deal. If you don't know who it was, call the clerk of courts where the divorce was granted. I do not believe that grandparents rights are as unknown as in previous decades! Keep fighting for her hunny! HTH & GL

    Answer by Babylove76 at 6:16 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

  • Do you have contact with the other grandparent. Have you talked to her and see how she feels about letting the little one go. Does she have legal custody? Or did she just leave them with her?

    Answer by Melbornj at 1:40 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Relationships
After divorce